News:

Register to attend our live meetings.

Main Menu

Unknown 2d Machine Token

Started by bhx7, March 16, 2022, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhx7

Hi Guys, so have had a collection of tokens drop through the post today and this little guy has turned up amongst them.
Dia: 16.8mm
Thick: 1mm
Wt: 1.86g
Mat: Brass
Description : Obv: "VALUE" curved at top "2D" central - Rev: five pointed star inside rope circle.
Just looking for help to identify. I couldn't see it in Hayes, but may have gone past it.

Thanks
Brian

africancoins

It must be issuer Hayes-400 but it is not a listed type.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

bhx7

Quote from: africancoins on March 16, 2022, 09:15:28 PMIt must be issuer Hayes-400 but it is not a listed type.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Hi Paul, I had a really good search through Hayes but no sign. Haven't tried Mal's addition section yet. Will have a look at that now.

Cheers Brian

UPDATE - Not in the BMT supplement X either.

Figleaf

Around UK decimalisation time, there was a fairground game called bulldozer. It was plaued with UK pennies. When the supply of UK pennies dried up due to decimalisation, some stand holders came up with replacements. The opportunity was taken to add multiple denominations. It could be one of those replacements. Not sure if they qualify for inclusion in the "machine token" category, as they are a borderline case.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

africancoins

Nothing I see, in terms of design, style etc.. points to the token shown being from around the time of decimalisation.

Any token that was made so as to be a substitute for a coin, so that the substitute could be put into the slot of a game machine instead of a coin, would therefore be a machine token.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

FosseWay

This is similar in size, and superficially in design/layout to the Bajazzo / Allwin tokens. It must be for some kind of amusement machine, I'd have thought.

At 16.8 mm it would be a strange replacement for a penny (30.2 mm).

bhx7

Quote from: africancoins on March 17, 2022, 07:29:34 PMNothing I see, in terms of design, style etc.. points to the token shown being from around the time of decimalisation.

Any token that was made so as to be a substitute for a coin, so that the substitute could be put into the slot of a game machine instead of a coin, would therefore be a machine token.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker
Quote from: FosseWay on March 17, 2022, 08:25:17 PMThis is similar in size, and superficially in design/layout to the Bajazzo / Allwin tokens. It must be for some kind of amusement machine, I'd have thought.

At 16.8 mm it would be a strange replacement for a penny (30.2 mm).

Totally agree with both of you. I would have thought this to be an early machine token in league with the likes of Clown, Skillfull and the above mentioned Bajazzo and Allwin.  It has a good bit of age to it. I know I am very happy to have it in my collection and have already placed it into my machine token section.

Not sure why, but I was not informed about any replies after Paul Baker's initial response. Not the first time. Will have to look into that.

Thanks all for the replies. Very much appreciated.

FosseWay

Quote from: bhx7 on March 21, 2022, 01:28:59 AMNot sure why, but I was not informed about any replies after Paul Baker's initial response. Not the first time. Will have to look into that.

I have noticed the same thing. Some settings seem to have changed in connection with the site upgrade.

You can change your personal settings by clicking on your username at the top left of any page, selecting the Notifications option and then checking the boxes or not as you wish. Some are definitely different from how I had them set up before the upgrade, which will explain the unexpected lack of notifications.

Figleaf

Listed om Malj1's site as Hayes 400.M5

See here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

africancoins

For those who are not already aware and were unable to guess...

The Hayes numbers Malcolm used that had the issuer number, a dot, an "M" and then one or more digits... were types for an issuer included in the Ralph Hayes books/listings but not one of the types listed by Ralph Hayes for that issuer.

(Note "issuer" does not always mean what we might normal consider to be an "issuer".. e.g. the Hayes-400 types are defined as "Stated Monetary Value".)

So Malcolm will have had his types H-400.M1, H-400.M2, H-400.M3, H-400.M4, H-400.M5 and likely more for that issuer.

I have .P numbers for my unlisted types of listed issuers.

This is something we came up with a number of years ago.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

bhx7

Quote from: Figleaf on April 16, 2022, 09:09:53 PMListed om Malj1's site as Hayes 400.M5

See here.

Peter

Missed that altogether. Mal must not have got round to placing it into his "Suppl. X" which I was delighted to recieve from him. Did he ever do an update? I remember him saying he had well over 1000 M numbers on one of the posts we were both adding too. I am hoping he did get an update done as it would be aweful for all that knowledge, time and dedication to be lost.

Thanks guys

Brian