Author Topic: AR Sansu struck during the reign of Haidar Dughlat, Kashmir AH953 i.n.o Humayun  (Read 1592 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
I was sold this as a Tanki of Humayun. Since I do not have any reference on Humayun, I have not been able to verify the denomination. However, I did come across a square coin of Humayun called the Sasnu. Is it this denomination? Please help with the attribution.
Amit
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:00:50 AM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Humayun?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 04:44:52 PM »
The coin is struck during the reign of Haidar Dughlat who ruled in Kashmir from AH953-957 (AD1546-1550) but did not issue coins in his own name. For most of the time he struck coins in the name of the Mughal emperor Humayun. The silver Sasnu is of good style and bear a clear, actual date in the margin.
Obv.: al-Sultan al-Azam Muhammad Humayun Ghazi
Rev.: zarb Kashmir; date (953) in margin.
Ref.: Goron/Goenka K104

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Humayun?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:57:38 AM »
Oesho,

Thank you for the information. Would this be a coin of the Kashmir Sultanate - struck during the reign of Haidar Dughlat (AH953-957 / AD1546-1550) in the name of Mughal Emperor Humayun or would this be an Imperial Mughal issue?

Amit

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Would this be a coin of the Kashmir Sultanate - struck during the reign of Haidar Dughlat (AH953-957 / AD1546-1550) in the name of Mughal Emperor Humayun or would this be an Imperial Mughal issue?
Sultanate of Kahsmir. It's a coin of Haidar Dughlat who expresses the overlordship of the Mughal emperor Humayun.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Oesho,

Thank you for the confirmation.
Amit

PS: Message edited.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 03:32:52 PM by asm »

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Another WOW! Amit. 
G/G rate this coin a "S" for Scarce. But considereing the quality of the coin and the presence of date, I think you have a rather choice wonderful coin. 
richie

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Richie,
Thanks for the encouragement. I was indeed lucky as I remember that I did not pay too much for the coin.
Amit