News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Appropriate, is it not?

Started by brandm24, March 09, 2022, 10:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

Though struck long before Ukraine, it certainly applies to that terrible devastation. Enough is enough!

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

This one likely refers to the Vietnam war and resistance to the draft at that time.

While the sentiment is laudable, it is impractical. I recommend reading this page. This is the standard most Western democracies will adhere to, while Putin, being a nationalist, would probably prefer a more permissive nationalist standard (which proposes that a war only needs to serve a nation's interests to be justifiable), provided that he will decide and rationalise the decision, by propagandistic lies if necessary, so that in practice he accepts no restrictions. The death of thousands of his own citizens as well as the Russian economy is evidence to the contrary. Read the section on "Russian Orthodox Church and just war" in the link above to get a further insight into Putin's position in the light of his stated ambition to be a good christian.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

No question this is in response to the Vietnam war considering the date of the coin. My comments pertain only to the Ukraine situation. There are of course necessary wars. World War 2 comes to min...it was unavoidable.

Putin reminds me of the old American Mafia. Many were devout church goers and supporters but wouldn't hesitate to kill someone after leaving Sunday services. Hard to get my mind around that one.

Bruce
Always Faithful