News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Post-Sasanian copper coin

Started by Pellinore, February 12, 2022, 12:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

I came across this nice little coin. At least the reverse is very nice, the obverse is hard to identify. I thought it might be a Gyselen #3 type, from Bishapur. Or could it be a real Sasanian copper? The legends on the reverse seem readable to that happy collector able to read Pahlavi.

There are crescent-and-stars on the obverse rim quadrants. Double pearl circles on the obverse, not triple. A simple fire altar without side ribbons, simple attendants, star left and crescent right at the side of the fire, dots under these. 16.5 mm, 1.19 gr.
I made an oblique picture of the obverse in the sun, maybe that's clearer.

Can you help?

-- Paul

Figleaf

Great photography! On the larger picture, the head and ornaments come out really well.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pellinore

Thank you! I should add that this is a thin type of coin, unlike the earler Sasanian coppers that are thick dumpy coins. It was struck over another type, and it doesn't have double pearl rims, but single - unlike Xusro II types.
— Paul