Variants of Turkish coins

Started by JeanPar, July 15, 2007, 06:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

I'm with Paul on this - 1st and 3rd coin in the above are the same coin....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Globetrotter

Hi,

on numista I have had the same complaint and yes, those two coins are the same, so I've changed the graphic to this!

Sorry, for having ignored your warnings.
Ole

RnL

Quote from: <k> on December 16, 2011, 06:33:07 PMI wonder whether anybody knows whether these coins were designed by Percy Metcalfe? I've read that the ones from 1936 were (the Turks spell his name as "Medkaley"), but these designs look too old-fashioned to me. The wreath on the reverse in particular looks too old-fashioned - or maybe I should say spray and not wreath. I don't think Percy Metcalfe, being a modernist, would deliberately have included a wreath in his design.

You are correct <k>, Metcalfe would not "deliberately" include a wreath.
And as you suspected, this 100 Kurus piece was made prior to Metcalfe's involvement in Turkish coinage by Ali Cemal Benim.
The wheat and such agricultural symbols were criticised by the sculptors of the time as well (e.g. another scupltor lady; Nermin Faruki, who submitted designs that one may say were inspired by the Walking Liberty half dollar.)
Still, wheat, olive and olive branches were prominent symbols for the Turkish so Metcalfe was asked to include those to his designs.

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.