Coinage of Rwanda

Started by <k>, March 23, 2019, 11:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

What is the difference in meaning of the two names?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Pabitra

Change of name from Portuguese to local Bantu language, I think.

<k>

The first legend, used in 2003, reads: BANK NASIYONALI Y'U RWANDA.

In 2009, it was changed to: BANKI NKURU Y'U RWANDA.

So both slogans are in the national language - not in French, which was the colonial language.

I suppose the wording and grammar and subsequent change will remain a mystery to us.

Pabitra

Oops, my blackout moment

Perhaps changed from Swahili to Kinyarwanda.
Again a language change is in offing.

See

Languages of Rwanda - Wikipedia

And

https://allafrica.com/stories/201702090060.html

<k>

Benki ya kitaifa ya Rwanda - this is Swahili.

Too many mistakes, I'm afraid - you need to go on holiday to Rwanda and research the matter.  >:(

Pabitra

Sure
Will go
Surely you will join me
Which months suit you?

<k>

Of course not, I'm supervising. I only travel to the astral plane, because it's free. I'm giving you until the end of the month to learn fluent Kinyarwanda.

africancoins

I was looking at this post about Rwanda's coins, particularly the large image in replies 27+28 – I noticed a design related error...

There is a sort of code for the texture/shading of heraldic designs when they are done without colouring e.g. when they are engraved. There is a different shading designated for representing each of the heraldic colours.

Section 2 here shows some details...

Tincture - Wikipedia(heraldry)

Rwanda's circulation coins of 1960s, 1970s and 1980s as shown in this topic include the Seal of Rwanda as used from 1962 to 2001.

That seal as used by Rwanda from 1962-2001 is shown here...

Seal of Rwanda - Wikipedia

...as would have been imagined the flags in the seal are the same as another. Each flag in the emblem is shown as having three vertical bands, from the hoist red-yellow-green.

Looking at the two flags in the state emblem on the 1970s coin (in reply 28), these have different shading for their third bands. The third band from the hoist on the flag to the right has the shading as required for PURPLE instead of the shading as required for green. This can also be seen on other later circulation types (but not in the type shown in reply 27).

Looking briefly at collector coins... The 1965 Gold types seems to show a red-white-yellow! The two early 1990s silver types each show red-yellow-green for both flags in the emblem (correct).

Or is there a rule in heraldry that makes both version of the engraved state emblem correct?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

<k>

Well spotted! I am no expert on heraldry, but you do seem to have keen eyesight.

Look at the bottom right on each design above.

eurocoin

Very interesting discovery! :applause:

<k>

image.jpg

Part of the Rwandan coat of arms reminded me of something else.