MUSEUM ENERGIE BEDRYF AMSTERDAM

Started by Galaico, December 16, 2021, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galaico

I don't know if this is a token or a medal...

I think it's an commemorating issue from the inauguration of the Amsterdam Energy Museum in 1987.

It's a pity it's not in a better state.

MUSEUM ENERGIE | 1947 | ENERGIA | 1987 | BEDRYF AMSTERDAM
PENNING VOOR GASMUNTMETERS | GOED VOOR | 1M3 | GAS

Aluminum
27,5 mm
2,98 grams
Medal alignment
Galaico - JPSAV

THCoins

Although i have lived the largest part of my life in Amsterdam i had never heard of this museum. Was also quite dificult to find some background information.

This certainly was not a commemorative for the inauguration of the museum, it more seems to be one of the last signs of its existence.

I think this museum was located for many decades at the headquarters of the "Gemeente Energie Bedrijf (GEB) Amsterdam" at the Spaklerweg location. There is a similar token which still has GEB on it and states that is a souvenir for visitors of the museum.
In de mid 1980s there was a major shift from social-democrat rule to politicaly rightwing liberal supremacy in politics in the Netherlands. As a consequence of this al sorts of public institutions were forcibly sold and privatised. In 1985 the GEB ceased to exist, it became part of the NUON energy company. For a few years it still used the name "Energie Bedrijf Amsterdam", so without the "G".  It seems likely that NUON also aquired the collection of the GEB museum, as some years later there was another energy museum, called "Energetica" instead of "Energia" at a different location in Amsterdam in a building owned by NUON. That only lasted several years and stopped because of lack of funds.

The backside of the token is modelled after an early 20th century "gasmuntje". That was a token which had be be entered in a gasmeter to obtain 1 m3 of gas in private homes. These tokens had a small notch in the side to prevent counterfeiting (which was not very effective).

Figleaf

I thought I'd reacted. I suppose I was distracted and forgot to click the "Post" button :(

The reverse of your token is taken from NLGAS-AMS-5 (minus the notch). There is a series of tourist souvenirs in aluminium (notched), brass, nickel (2 dies, notched) and silver, all with city arms on the obverse, all 24-25 mm, while the genuine tokens are 23.5 mm. I have not seen this obverse before. I would take it for a commemorative medal of the museum. The traces of use are puzzling. My best guess is that this is a metal detector find.

Strangely, there are two typos on the obverse: the museum did not use the name Energia, which is a museum in Moscow. Also, BEDRYF should be BEDRIJF (enterprise). The tokens and souvenirs all have the correct spelling.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jezuss

Quote from: Figleaf on December 29, 2021, 03:39:32 PM
Also, BEDRYF should be BEDRIJF (enterprise). The tokens and souvenirs all have the correct spelling.

Peter

Other tokens with the name BEDRYF have been made:

http://www.jezuss.nl/am/amsterdam-gas.htm

Figleaf

I should have thought of checking your site. Excellent overview. BEDRIJF is used on the museum's imitations of the originals, while BEDRYF occurs on the three types with commemorative legend, presumably designed by or for the museum. A bit sloppy...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Galaico

Galaico - JPSAV

THCoins

I had been pondering a bit about the remark Peter made. The museum did not use the name Energia. And indeed, i could not find any mention that it did. However, the name Energia with the year 1947 does provide another possible link with the history of the energy company. For the company had its own football team, and from 1947 that was named Energia. So the possibility arises that the token commemorates the 40 year anniversary of the company football team.

Galaico

I don't have the cataloguue of A.J. Kooij.

Does anyone know if this Token is referenced in that catalog?
Galaico - JPSAV

jezuss

the token is in the catalog.
issued bij "museum energiebedryf".
no mentioning why it has been issued...

Galaico

Quote from: jezuss on December 31, 2021, 10:46:15 AM
the token is in the catalog.
issued bij "museum energiebedryf".
no mentioning why it has been issued...

Thank you very much jezuss!

By the way, can you tell me what the reference is in that catalog?
Galaico - JPSAV

jezuss

Figleaf

That solves my puzzlement. Advertising token of a public institution (RO). I looked only at the gas token (GA) section. Pencilled cross references into my copy of Kooij.

Peter

Galaico

Quote from: THCoins on December 30, 2021, 08:43:33 PM
I had been pondering a bit about the remark Peter made. The museum did not use the name Energia. And indeed, i could not find any mention that it did. However, the name Energia with the year 1947 does provide another possible link with the history of the energy company. For the company had its own football team, and from 1947 that was named Energia. So the possibility arises that the token commemorates the 40 year anniversary of the company football team.

Yes, this is a good hypothesis for assigning this token.

Thank you very much THCoins!

Quote from: jezuss on December 31, 2021, 12:57:19 PM
your energia token has nr. RO 077.4

Thank you again jezuss!

Quote from: Figleaf on December 31, 2021, 02:00:44 PM
That solves my puzzlement. Advertising token of a public institution (RO). I looked only at the gas token (GA) section. Pencilled cross references into my copy of Kooij.

Peter

Thank you Peter!

Galaico - JPSAV