Author Topic: Quiz Question 6  (Read 644 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Quiz Question 6
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »
Here we go ... New game, new chance to win. What can you win? Hmm, coin trivia knowledge and the honor to be the next quiz host. :)
The few "rules" that we have for this are here: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,4867.msg31916.html#msg31916

Now I would like to know where the coin depicted below (sorry for the somewhat blurry image) is from. Not the mint but the issuing country, that is.

Christian

andyg

Re: Quiz Question 6
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 12:24:07 AM »
That's easy, South Korea 8)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 12:56:19 AM »
That's easy, South Korea 8)

What?? Of course not.

(ahem)

Christian

andyg

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:24:40 AM »
I see it was not so easy as I thought ::)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
Great, that is actually the coin I asked about. And now it is also obvious know why the image in my first post here looks a little weird - I cut the ring off, so to say. But, where is "my" piece from? (Inverted commas because I don't actually own one.)

Christian

RHM22

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:45:36 AM »
Hi Chris. This appears to be a 2 euro from Greece commemorating the 2004 Olympiad in Athens. Less the outer ring, of course.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »
Yes, the image that I show in the first post depicts the Greek 2 coin you mentioned. However, the actual coin - including the ring - is from a different country. AJG found the piece; see the image that he attached. But I would still like to know where that coin is from. All I can say is, Greece is wrong, and South Korea is wrong.

>:D  Christian

RHM22

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 01:07:06 PM »
Can I answer again? I know the answer now. If I can't answer again, I will tell everybody that is pretty funny.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 01:17:05 PM »
Sure, go ahead. I'm all ears. :)

Edit - Just got a PM with the correct answer. Martin (translateltd) is right - North Korea. Will post some info about the piece (actually a whole series) a little later.

Christian
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:49:24 PM by chrisild »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 02:02:50 PM »
In 2006 North Korea issued a series of trinkets - oops, coins - that feature various commemorative 2 coins. One depicts the Holstentor in Lbeck, one shows the World Food Program, one commemorates the World Youth Day in Cologne ... just like the actual coins they were modeled after.

Here is the image from the initial post again, this time in its entirety.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:04:23 PM »
Each of these is a silver piece, 30 mm, face value 700 won. For the images of the euro coins, however, they used gemstones (Tiger's Eye). There were twelve coins in that series, I think. Mintage 3,000 per issue ... and the question of how many ended up in the country of "origin" would probably be too mean to ask. ;D Your turn, Martin!

Christian

RHM22

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »
Beat me to it! When I found out that North Korea was the answer, I thought "that has got to be the most ridiculous coin I've ever seen." A coin commemorating a commemorative coin from another country? I think the Dear Leader just got a little crazier, if that's possible.

translateltd

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »
Each of these is a silver piece, 30 mm, face value 700 won. For the images of the euro coins, however, they used gemstones (Tiger's Eye). There were twelve coins in that series, I think. Mintage 3,000 per issue ... and the question of how many ended up in the country of "origin" would probably be too mean to ask. ;D Your turn, Martin!

Christian

As I said in my PM, this issue is plain bizarre.  Also odd that they chose the language of whatever their term for the Great Satan is for the reverse.  Were these actually DPRK-authorised issues or fantasies produced by some money-grubbing third party?  Just a little "capitalist" a venture for them too, I would have thought.

Didn't think of the consequences in terms of having to think up another quiz last night - give me a day or two, given the time of the year, as well as the fact that a couple of unwell kids are reducing my already minimal sleep allowance :-)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 08:44:50 PM »
Such "oddball" issues are unfortunately fairly common - some major dealer or distributor has a "great" idea for a new series of coins, and then tries to find some country that will allow these pieces to be minted in its name. Congo, Liberia, Palau, you name it.

But when I learned that, of all countries, North Korea had issued these "Tiger's Eye Euros", I found that really weird. Like pretty much everybody else here, it seems. I suppose those were actually authorized by the N.K. government. They also had a 10 Won coin made, similar style, with the Brandenburg Gate in the center and the inscription "Final Issue of the German Mark", in English. That one is dated 2002 (except Germany used euro cash then ;D ), and 2002 pieces were made.

Christian