Author Topic: Portuguese Electricity Token  (Read 91 times)

Offline Galaico

Portuguese Electricity Token
« on: November 21, 2021, 12:31:36 PM »
This is the only type of electricity token from Portugal that I am aware of.

These tokens were used at the beginning of the formation of municipal services in 1929-1932; the consumer had a prepayment counter, provided by the municipal services, into which he inserted the tokens as needed.

Covilhã is a Portuguese city in the district of Castelo Branco, in the province of Beira Baixa, Centro region and sub-region of Beiras and Serra da Estrela. It's the "Serra da Estrela" door (mountain range where the highest altitudes of mainland Portugal are found).

26 mm
7,83 grams
Medal alignment

- Former coat of arms of the city of Covilhã
- SERVIÇOS MUNICIPALISADOS | • COVILHÃ • | 500 WATTS
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 02:46:05 PM by Galaico »
Galaico - JPSAV

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Portuguese Electricity Token
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 02:48:19 PM »
Fun token!

It's a daring move to put "500 watt" on the token, as that presumably fixes the amount of electricity, so by buying the token, the buyer shifts the risk of an increase in the price of electricity to the seller. That is, unless the seller manages to adjust the amount of time the 500 watt is delivered, but in that case, why use tokens? Or am I missing something?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Galaico

Re: Portuguese Electricity Token
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 03:50:16 PM »
It's a daring move to put "500 watt" on the token, as that presumably fixes the amount of electricity, so by buying the token, the buyer shifts the risk of an increase in the price of electricity to the seller...

Peter

Yes, I think that was it.

Perhaps for this reason they had such a short use (between 1929 and 1932).

The brass token was intended to replace the collector-readers.

The consumer would buy the tokens, which were provided by the municipal services of Covilhã, and would introduce them to the prepayment counter that they had installed as needed.
Galaico - JPSAV