Author Topic: New commemorative 2 euro Portugal 2007  (Read 3796 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: E.U. Presidency
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 12:22:53 AM »
Portugal have issued a commemorative 2 euro coin with a large tree at it for the Presidency of Barosso? for the Council of Europe..
Shall I play the nitpicker? ;D Mr Barroso has been the president of the Commission before; this piece is about Portugal's EU Council Presidency. And the Council of Europe is an organization quite different from the EU (I know, the names are misleadingly similar.) That large tree - a cork oak - looks good on the coins. And apparently, as Portugal is the biggest cork "producer" in the world, they also wanted to advertise a little. ;)

I have one of those too. But I wonder whether I will ever come across one in circulation. At least they can be had at face value ...

Christian

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
Re: New commemorative 2 euro Portugal 2007
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 09:27:13 AM »
@ Christian,
The detail most remarkable on this coin are some dead branches at the lower right side of the tree. What do they signify? The Balkans? Serbia? Turkey?
Regards,
a3v1
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:44:54 AM by a3v1 »
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: New commemorative 2 euro Portugal 2007
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 09:46:22 AM »
 :D

Maybe they refer to the deadbeats who wanted to cut the cork forests, because of increased demand for artificial "corks". For once, the conservationists did right and won deservedly by pointing out that the tree was rare and therefore the old plantations would make a superb tourist attraction.

As a wine lover, I started out hating artificial cork, but unfortunately, I have to admit that the product has been improved to the point where it's actually better than the real thing. Major advantage: no more bottles with cork taste!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.