Kushano-Sassanian? Help to identify

Started by goldenage, November 01, 2021, 05:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenage

My reasarch brought me to Kushano-Sassanian coin. But I don't know more about it. Thanks for your help!

THCoins

Very nice specimen, thanks for showing !
The figure in the flames of the fire altar is very standard for these. If the deity looks male it is usually attributed as Ahura Mazda. This look like the female version, with Anahita.
For the ruler, the defining characteristic is the headdress. Here it has a lion. From memory that should belong to Hormazd I Kushan shah.

Anthony

Figleaf

Good specimen!

MACW 1280-1281. Mitchiner says it's Ahura Mazda, holding trident and wreath. He reads the legend as  AURaMaZDI MaLKA, but that likely means Auramazd─ü (Hormazd) Malik (king). Period 275-300. Possible mints: Kabul, Balkh, Herat and Merv

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

goldenage

Thank you very much for your indications. You helped me a lot. I really like this coin, especially beacause I did not find any others in such good condition. Just one question. Is there a PDF of Mitichiner "The ancient & classical world"? Because I do only have "The world of Islam" in bookform.

Figleaf

If it exists it is probably illegal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.