Islamic - Silver - is it not Safavid...?!?!

Started by mti, November 07, 2021, 04:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mti

Hello all...!!!

Not much of details on this coin, but there is something that could possibly be read...!?!?

This coin is:  AR  ||  1.1 g  ||  11-13 mm = very similar to a previously posted coin, only this one has four corners, and the script is different...

so I need an idea about this coin's origins:  Ruler, Region, whatever possible, please...?!?!

Thank you as always and until the next coin...!!!  =))

aws22

Dear mti, it is not easy to read the text on second coin, but I think it is Safavid coin (not sure):
Safavids, Shah Tahmasp II, 1136 AH, Silver Shahi, Nackchivan Mint (AH 1135-1144/1722-1732 AD)
First photo: Shiite Kalima:
" لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله ", La illah l'Allah Muhammad rasul Allah, 'Ali wali Allah.
Second photo:
" بگیتی سکه صاحبقرانی / زد از توفیق حق طهماسب ثانی ", Be-giti Sikkah Sahibqirani zad az taufiq Haqq Tahmasb thani, meaning, "In the world the sort of coin a Lord of the fortunate conjunction of the planets strikes he struck by the Grace of the True One, did Tahmasp the Second. The mint is at the bottom " Nackchivan  نخجوان ".
The date is " 1136 ۱۱۳۶  " at 7 O'clock, only last digit " 6 ۶  " is visible.
To be confirmed?

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

Safavid for sure and I agree with you Maythem for the mint : Nackchivan, but from the size and style I would say better that's a bisti of Shah Tahmasp I instead of II.
You did a maximum from the very little legible parts of the coin  :applause:  I don't see the digit 6? (isn't it a part of the end of the mintname ?)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

mti

Thank you gentlemen for your replies...!!!

I looked on Zeno (based on your information) and my coin (this one and from the previous post) matches many on here:

http://search.zeno.ru/index.php?v=0&ar=on&c=safavid&t=&k=&d=&wmin=1.0&wmax=1.2&smin=&smax=&m=&ymin=&ymax=&y=&u=&a=&e=&f=0&s=0&p=1

Interesting to point, is that all, with the same size and weight, are from Tahmasp I period.  There is not even one from Tahmasp II period.

Is it safe to assume that my type of coin was issued only during Tahmasp I...?!?!
Does that mean the date of my coin could be AH 936 and the one from the previous post is AH 944 (based on the last, visible digits)...?!!?

aws22

Thank you Saro, I did hope that you reply because I was not sure about ruler's name. I do agree with you on what you have suggested and also your remark about the date, coin details:
Safavids, Shah Tahmasp I, Date?, Silver bisti, Nackchivan Mint (AH 930-984/1524-1578 AD)
First photo: Shiite Kalima:
" لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله ", La illah l'Allah Muhammad rasul Allah, 'Ali wali Allah.
Second photo: Nothing is visible except the mint:
ضرب نخجوان , Zarb Nackchivan, at the bottom. Judging by the weight of the bisti, the date should be between 938 and 945 AH.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

mti

@ Maythem - is there a source other than Zeno, perhaps a book/catalog that you go by to determine coin's dates based on weight and/or size....?!?!