News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Selling Roman coins on Amazon

Started by ghipszky, October 19, 2021, 02:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghipszky

I did a search for a Constantine centenionales. To my total and complete surprise I found this coin on Amazon. Has anyone ever purchased a Roman coin or any ancient coin on Amazon before?
Constantine the Great - Imperial Roman Empire Bronze Coin:CONSTANTINE The GREAT. IMPERIAL ROMAN EMPIRE COIN. Constantine the Great - 306 to 337 AD. Denomination: Æ Follis. For about $26. Is this the new way to get ancient coins?
Ginger

Figleaf

It's hard to say much about the offer without details, Ginger. Do you have a link?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

ghipszky

Peter,
It is hard to copy and paste on the ipad. You just go to Amazon.com/smile and do a search for Constantine the Great coins and a whole page comes up.
Ginger

Figleaf

Amazon smile is a dead end if you don't live in the US. I think the coin you saw is this one.

I have doubts on the authenticity of the better looking coins on offer, wonder why in a number of cases the obverses tend to be so much better than the reverses and I feel they are all overpriced. Example.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on October 19, 2021, 08:48:50 AM
Amazon smile is a dead end if you don't live in the US.

Mostly unrelated side comment  ;) - Amazon Smile works in all kinds of countries. Some organizations I work with, in Germany, use the program too. https://smile.amazon.de/ It's basically your regular Amazon store, but with your favorite charity-or-whatever as the entry point. Amazon will charge the regular prices but give a tiny portion of your payment to said organization. Nutshell: Find it somewhere in the regular Amazon pages ...

Christian

ghipszky

Peter, I agree, that Constantine coin looks like a fake to me. I use Amazon Smile to donate to Search and Rescue. I don't think I will be buying any ancient coins from Amazon. Totally weird.
Ginger

SC

The first one appears to be a crude sand cast using totally different coins for the two sides.  The obverse has no relation to the reverse type.

The second appears genuine, but way overpriced.  Such totally overpriced stuff on marketplaces like Amazon makes me angry.  I could see someone - say a grandparent - spending hard earned money on what they thought was a rare and special gift for somebody they loved, not knowing they paid 10 times too much.

I have seen many Roman coins advertised on Amazon - none being a deal.

SC

ghipszky

I totally agree. It isn't fair when someone buys something that they think is special and one of a kind and from the Roman Empire, only to receive it and see it isn't as advertised. It is for those type of people that I am glad this site is here for. If someone wants to get a coin for a gift for someone, I hope they come here first and look at the Roman coin section.
Ginger