News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Russian Red Star

Started by Gerrit, October 17, 2021, 10:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerrit

I bought this in Bishkek Kyrgystan, 5 years ago.
Serial number(T, or 1)8432
Can anyone date this medal

Thank You

Figleaf

Unless the lighting of the photo is deceptive, this is a replica of the order of the red star. The original has an oxydized silver centre, hammer and sickle logo and outside border of the enamel parts. The order was established in 1930. It was last mentioned in legislation in 1980. It may still legally exist, but I doubt any were awarded after 1989.

The Order was attached to clothing by a threaded stud and screw attachment. The otherwise plain reverse bore the maker's mark and the award serial number. A genuine piece goes for around €100, an imitation for around €10. They may be cheaper in Kyrgyzstan.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

SC

It was awarded right up to the end of the USSR in December 1991.

This one is a copy/fake.  The reverse is poor quality compared to the original.  The body was likely cast, as you can see when you look at the "MONETNIY DVOR" mint mark above the screw.

The large cyrillic D below the serial number is not part of the original design.  I suspect it stands for duplicate (dublirovats in Russian).  This is likely a legal protection - like placing "copy" on imitations of coins.

SC

(PS.  I used to collect Soviet awards, uniforms and militaria from the mid-1980s to the early 2000s, when I liquidated my entire collection to concentrate on my Roman collection.)