News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Islands - My new finds

Started by Alex Island, October 02, 2021, 09:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Island

I continue to make new geographical discoveries for myself on my topic. This time it's two islands in Spain.

Gaztelugatxe is an islet on the coast of Biscay belonging to the municipality of Bermeo, Basque Country (Spain). It is connected to the mainland by a man-made bridge. On top of the island stands a hermitage (named Gaztelugatxeko Doniene in Basque; San Juan de Gaztelugatxe in Spanish), dedicated to John the Baptist, that dates from the 10th century, although discoveries indicate that the date might be the 9th century. With another small neighboring island, Aketx, they form a protected biotope that extends from the town of Bakio to Cape Matxitxako, on the Bay of Biscay.

Gaztelugatxe island map

All islands around the world & islands coin

Alex Island

This is a neighboring island that is not far from the previous one and which is mentioned in the description of this group of islands.

Aketxe Island map

Alex Island

It looks like an island in New York. Glen Island map

I wonder in what catalogs you can find such a token?

brandm24

Quote from: Alex Island on October 11, 2022, 10:17:35 AMIt looks like an island in New York. Glen Island map

I wonder in what catalogs you can find such a token?
Looks like an amusement token, Alex. I'm not sure about a catalog but I'll look around for you.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

I don't know is there's a catalog specifically targeting New York tokens but if there is I wasn't able to find it. I also checked Numista, Token Catalog, and Russ Rulau's huge catalog on US tokens but found nothing in any of them.

Sorry I couldn't find a link to anything useful.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

Probably in the USA it is most curious to explore such islands on which there used to be tokens. My last three discoveries are different islands in the USA:

Whiskey Island in Ohio

Peil's Island in Wisconsin

Saint Clement's Island in Maryland

Alex Island

Another new island for me in France.

L'Ile des Loisirs map

Alex Island

I like it when maps with islands are shown and there are inscriptions. An interesting issue of Niue Island:
Aleutian, Kuril, Bonin, Marcus, Sarigan, Rota, Enewetak, Johnston, Caroline and other islands are shown

Alex Island

Another issue in which series I saw a year ago and two islands were also shown there: Salamis and Psyttaleia island:

Alex Island

For the Salt Spring Island in British Columbia, I've seen a $50 (2007, silver, https://saltspringdollars.com/) coin-token. Now I learned that there are tokens: "Burgoyne Dairy" in Fulford Harbour:

brandm24

Quote from: Alex Island on November 23, 2022, 12:06:38 PMI like it when maps with islands are shown and there are inscriptions. An interesting issue of Niue Island:
Aleutian, Kuril, Bonin, Marcus, Sarigan, Rota, Enewetak, Johnston, Caroline and other islands are shown

What an interesting coin and very well made. It's one that you could study for a long time in order to appreciate all the detail. Love the spinning propeller too.

I wouldn't mind owning one but it's too pricey for my wallet.

Bruce
Always Faithful

eurocoin

The typo 'Hawaiin islands' is a pity though..

Gusev

Quote from: Alex Island on November 23, 2022, 12:06:38 PMI like it when maps with islands are shown and there are inscriptions.

You will be interested in two coins of Portugal.
I showed these coins in another thread
Mountains and volcanoes on coins
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,4027.165.html
Number 175 and 176 on page 12
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

brandm24

Quote from: eurocoin on November 23, 2022, 07:27:05 PMThe typo 'Hawaiin islands' is a pity though..
It's hard to believe that a simple misspelling could be overlooked like that but I've seen it before. That kind of thing gives the appearance of unprofessionalism.

After eurocoin pointed out the mistake I had to check the Aleutian Islands. My father served with the navy there in World War II.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Alex Island

Another original token I found today. Shows the island and the event associated with this island.

Bligh Island Reef

QuoteBligh Reef, sometimes known as Bligh Island Reef, is a reef off the coast of Bligh Island in Prince William Sound, Alaska. This was the location of the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill. After the incident, 33 US Code ยง 2733 mandated the operation of an automated navigation light to prevent future collisions with the reef. Despite these efforts the tug Pathfinder ran aground on Bligh Reef on Dec 24, 2009, rupturing its tanks and spilling diesel fuel.
The reef was named after William Bligh, of future HMS Bounty fame, who served as Master aboard ship during James Cook's third world voyage.