Islands - My new finds

Started by Alex Island, October 02, 2021, 09:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Quote from: Alex Island on March 28, 2023, 11:11:49 PMWritten by "Elagin island". Why "night"?  ???  8)

Guess the spelling, or rather transliteration, is somewhat flexible. ;) Have a look at this website: https://elaginpark.org/en/ This "Sberbank Night" was probably some (returning?) kind of cultural event at that park, see here.

Alex Island

Quote from: chrisild on April 04, 2023, 09:45:02 PMHave a look at this website: https://elaginpark.org/en/ This "Sberbank Night" was probably some (returning?) kind of cultural event

chrisild thanks for paying attention, I glued this photo piece by piece for half an hour, as I had never done with any token before. This is because I specifically looked for medals or tokens about this island many times and for many years I could not find anything. And now you can see this token, and even with the logo of the state bank, and in an extremely worn condition for an unknown reason. If it was a simple souvenir, it would look better. Probably it was rubbed by all these young girls who accompany what was done there at Sberbank Night party  ???  8)  I did not expect to find such a token, and this is a mystery
All islands around the world & islands coin

Alex Island

Quote from: Alex Island on January 26, 2022, 09:03:02 PMSanibel Island in Florida, USA

I've seen transport tokens for this island before, there are two types of them, as well as other tokens without a denomination. This is the only token that has a commercial denomination

The denomination of 75 cents is already quite interesting, but another denomination that I found is 95 cents, another 5 cents and it would have been a dollar, but for some reason not. This is the first time I see a 95 cent token:

Alex Island

Queen Charlotte Islands (Haida Gwaii)

Haida Gwaii (Haida: X̱aaydag̱a Gwaay, literally "Islands of the Haida people") is an archipelago located between 55–125 km (34–78 mi) off the northern Pacific coast of Canada. Part of the Canadian province of British Columbia, the islands were known from 1787 until 2010 as the Queen Charlotte Islands, and colloquially as "the Charlottes". On June 3, 2010, the Haida Gwaii Reconciliation Act formally renamed the archipelago as part of the Kunst'aa guu – Kunst'aayah Reconciliation Protocol between British Columbia and the Haida people.

These two silver tokens were issued before the renaming with the old name:

Alex Island

Two varieties of Ulleungdo island 울릉도 released in Korea:

Alex Island

Quote from: chrisild on April 04, 2023, 09:45:02 PMGuess the spelling, or rather transliteration, is somewhat flexible. ;) Have a look at this website: https://elaginpark.org/en/ This "Sberbank Night" was probably some (returning?) kind of cultural event at that park, see here.

In continuation of the topic, I found a few more tokens today at auctions, and all with riddles and oddities. This is the first time I've seen this in all the years I've been collecting, and I still don't know how to understand it.
Here is a token with an atypical inscription "island of heroes" (Остров Героев) and a denomination of "one lion". Only serials are known with this name, but the inscriptions are in Russian and English at the same time:

Alex Island

Here is a token with the inscription "Fort Alexander" and at the same time "Fort Boyard". Fort Alexander is really an island in St. Petersburg and really looks like the French Fort Boyard "форт БоярД:

Fort Alexander, also Fort Alexander I, or Plague Fort (Russian: Форт Александр Первый Fort Aleksandr Perviy or Russian: Чумный форт Chumnyi fort, English: "Plague fort") is a naval fortress on an artificial island in the Gulf of Finland near St. Petersburg and Kronstadt. From 1899 to 1917, the fort housed a research laboratory on plague and other bacterial diseases. Emperor Nikolay I officially commissioned the fort on 27 July 1845; the fort was named to honor his brother, Emperor Alexander I. The fort's design is close to that of Fort Boyard in France.

This island is also called "plague island" because plague and cholera and vaccines were once researched there. The token is dated 2016 and is probably related to modern entertainment on the island that was rented out:

Alex Island

An unexpected new find in the Bahamas. Spanish Wells Ferry Service plastic token, good for one fare between Jeans Bay, North Eleuthera and Spanish Wells Island  There is a large government owned Ferry in which the crossing takes about 5 minutes, and there are several private operators.  My guess is that this is for one of the private operators. Reverse is the same as the obverse.  41.4 mm in diameter.

Alex Island

This seems to me the most interesting find. Here is what is written: Laroche Island
(c)
This French ferry token is not listed by either the Smiths or Roland Elie. I found it in the new book (2016) by Bernard Carruesco under the Paris suburb of Bry-sur-Marne.
Obverse: A NOGENT S/MARNE / JOLIN / TRAITEUR / ILE LAROCHE
Reverse: Bon Pour Un Passage
Copper, 23.6 millimetres.

It is interesting that I do not see in this region on the map of the island with this name "ILE LAROCHE".
I see only two islands that are located on the same island - this is Île du Moulin & Île d'Amour

In the end, I don't understand where in France this island is on the map? Who knows?:

Alex Island

In the catalog WOT, I noticed a strange token without comments, marked as "H-H". I found information and found out that the token belongs to the Korkeasaari island.
(c)
H.H. Helsingfors Högholmen one sided ferry token and the other side of the token is smooth. Helsinki Korkeasaari Zoo (Högholmen ~ Korkeasaari).
Vuori gives the H-H abbreviation for Högholmen, the Swedish name for an island within Helsinki. The Finnish name is Korkeasaari. Three pieces are illustrated including a square example and a white metal piece. Vuori N1.1, N1.2 and N1.3.
Listed by the Smiths (1981) as FIN 320 FF. Described as "very thin":

chrisild

Quote from: Alex Island on April 30, 2023, 01:04:16 PMIt is interesting that I do not see in this region on the map of the island with this name "ILE LAROCHE".

You cannot see it any more because ... it is gone. ;)

In this French Wikipedia article about Bry-sur-Marne you find the info about a pedestrian bridge, opened in 1894, that replaced a ferry service. See the "Un nouveau moyen de communication" section. (In Le Perreux there is still a street called rue du Bac – Ferry Street – at that location.) That article mentions the "île Laroche (disparue en 1874)". It does not say anything about whether the island simply disappeared (could have been flooded or washed away) or whether it was deliberately removed.

So listing the token in Bry-Sur-Marne makes sense. Now the place on the opposite bank is not Nogent but Le Perreux. But until February 1887, Le-Perreux-sur-Marne was part of Nogent-sur-Marne. Until then, the ferry did connect Bry and Nogent. :)

Alex Island

Quote from: chrisild on May 01, 2023, 05:19:59 PMYou cannot see it any more because ... it is gone. ;)

That article mentions the "île Laroche (disparue en 1874)".

Thank you chrisild! You found this rare mention of a forgotten island that I couldn't find!

Alex Island

New find in Brazil. There is the island of Guarujá. Guarujá is located in Santo Amaro island. The name "Guarujá Island" is used.

And here is the transport token of this island, which probably shows how the inhabitants of the island drove around in despair by bus but could not find a way out, and as a result they fell into a hole as shown on the obverse, and were then on the other side in the sea, as shown on the reverse, and wet returned back, and were again forced senselessly circling the island in search of a way out.. What a terrible fate when there is no way out  :'( 

Or maybe I did not understand what this token represents?:

Alex Island

Albury´s Ferry Service tokens. If I understand correctly, then the coordinates of the specified organization are 26°35'38"N 77°0'20"W - Man-O-War Cay island, Abaco Islands, Bahamas:

Alex Island

Interesting new finds - tokens with four-digit numbers and holes, all have a face value of 25 and different numbers starting with "00". Moreover, it is clear that the numbers 2 and 5 were inflicted in each case with additional blows. All letters, if you compare different tokens, also "dance and jump"
I had never heard of this island's tokens before, but now I've found three different lots for sale.
Big Coppitt Key island, is an island in Monroe County, Florida, United States, in the lower Florida Keys :