News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Civic copper of Isfahan / ctm "(tayy)ib raij" on lion & sun type (1/3 falus ?)

Started by saro, September 23, 2021, 03:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

6,56g / 22mm / Isfahan
One could have put it at best in a mystery box, or at worst in the trash ... Yet  this copper coin in poor condition presents a double interest:
- it's, I think, an unpublished  fraction of a Qajar coin issued in 1228 AH
- the  "Raij" counterstamp shows an unusual qualifier.

By its weight and type, it appears to be the third of the Alaedini's falus p.135, issued in1228 AH and further re-valided (Raij counterstamp).
Few examplars of the full falus weigh 17,85g (Zeno) / 18,0g (Zeno) / 19,6g (Alaedini)
I don't think that the isolated digit "3" at 4 o'clock on the obverse belongs to a date and I wonder if it couldn't be linked to this  1/3 value ?

One on Zeno has an unread  (multi) counterstamp which shows, I think, the same qualifier following the word "Raij" that I would read as " ib or yt raij / still current / یب رایج" instead of  "raij"alone.

If I'm right, this has never been noticed previously  ??? and has to be confirmed

"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

saro

Did somebody tried to decipher the right part of the Zeno counterstamp ? (1st picture hereafter)

to notice : he Alaedini / Zeno 18-19g weight shows a small "comma" ornament under the lion'head , at the same place, this 1/3 weight coin shows the" digit "3"

Figleaf

I always find it amazing how much you can get out of coins that look more worn than the soles of my shoes. This one is no exception. Your analysis of the counterstamp is highly convincing to me. As for the "comma", one explanation could be that the element on the die was meant as a letter? I find it difficult to see it as a 1. One more thing. Do I see correctly that the counterstamp on the Zeno coin contains the number 25 on a superimposed counterstamp as well as 35 above?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on September 25, 2021, 01:00:37 PM
I always find it amazing how much you can get out of coins that look more worn than the soles of my shoes.
:laughing:

And yes Peter, you are right, it seems that the Zeno coin has been twice countermarked and that these numbers belong to dates.
The number 25 seems to belong to the 2nd ctm and, as this coin is initially dated 1228 AH (date under the lion), the full date should be rather 125x (digit "1" could be present too ?)
I guess that's a coin struck in 1228,  re-validated in 1235 and then, once more in 125x ...

saro

Quote from: saro on September 25, 2021, 10:53:28 AM
Did somebody tried to decipher the right part of the Zeno counterstamp ?
I found this rare counterstamp  on a similar coin present in S. Album's auction 38 (#2485) with this comment : " countermarked râyij  tayyib 30 on the reverse, with "30" most likely indicating the year AH1130, probably unpublished "

we must therefore add the isolated " ط " to " یب " to give " طیب " tayyib can be translated by "ok or good "
and then the ctm is :" رایج طیب "
However, I think that digits on S.Album and Zeno ctm are 35 (and not 30 ?) standing for 1235 (and not 1130), as the host coin listed by Alaedini is clearly dated 1228 AH.

Figleaf

Excellent research! I trust you know this stuff far better than I do. I have made the mistake of mixing up 0 and 5 myself, so I know how confusing they may be.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.