Author Topic: Coins of Brunei  (Read 4929 times)

BC Numismatics

Coins of Brunei
« on: July 14, 2007, 03:24:29 AM »
Here's another section that will be of interest to the British Commonwealth numismatists here.It is about the coins of Brunei,which have been issued at various times since AH1285.

The Bruneian Dollar is pegged at a 1:1 ratio with the Singaporean Dollar.In fact,you can find Bruneian coins in circulation in Singapore,& Singaporean coins in circulation in Brunei.

Aidan.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Coins of Brunei
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
I have been n Singapore regularly, without ever seeing a coin from Brunei in circulation. Before Singapore became independent, the coins of Malaya/Straits Settlements circulated in Brunei as well as Singapore.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 01:12:33 PM »
Peter,it seems very strange not to have found a Bruneian coin in change while in Singapore.I have been told that you can find Bruneian banknotes in change in Singapore.

Here in New Zealand,we used to always find Australian 5c.,10c.,& 20c. coins in change a lot,but not any more,considering that we have changed our coins to smaller sizes & different metallic compositions.

Aidan.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 03:17:53 PM »
Not if you consider that the two currencies are from different countries and have a different value. According to this site, a Sing dollar was worth 0.98619 Brunei dollar on 15th July 2007. You'd lose by spending Brunei dollars at par in Singapore.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:28:08 PM »
Peter,
  Here's a link to photos of my Bruneian 50c. coin dated 1967; http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=53839&cat=all&ppuser=1635 .

That is one extremely hard coin to find.

Please let me know what you think.

Aidan.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »
Aidan, that is quite an interesting coin.  What do the symbols mean?  Are the hands from a dance? Are the wings from a specific bird?  And what supports the wings and parasol? 
richie

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 06:21:18 PM »
The symbols on the coat of arms are explained here http://www.brunei.gov.bn/about_brunei/flag.htm  The hands for example symbolize "the Government's pledge to promote welfare, peace and prosperity" ...

Christian

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »
Thanks Christian. I checked it out. 
Quite interesting.
Only "three" fingers used per hand? Welfare, Peace and Prosperity?  What happened to the fingers of "Political Rights" and "civil liberities"? Amputated?
 richie

ps
My apologies to all who visit this site from Brunei.  Coming from a country with the symbol of an Eagle (bird brained and merciless) and with our recent track record on human rights, perhaps I'm not in a strong position to make fun of the symbols of other countries.)

BC Numismatics

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 07:13:55 PM »
Richie,
   The parasol is a traditional symbol of Malayan-speaking royalty.

The Bruneian people actually have a very high standard of living,thanks to the contribution to the G.D.P. that has been generated from drilling for oil.

Aidan.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 08:01:25 PM »
Thanks Aidan. I place a high value on wealth.  Brunei seems to be a country without poverty due to, as you wrote, OIL.
I also value human rights.  Brunei has been living under a state of emergency, during which their constitution was suspended, since 1962.  Oh, well, I guess you can't have everything.
richie

Offline thelawnet

• AC/DC Numismatist.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »
Richie,
   The parasol is a traditional symbol of Malayan-speaking royalty.

The Bruneian people actually have a very high standard of living,thanks to the contribution to the G.D.P. that has been generated from drilling for oil.

As I understand it, the only thing to do in Brunei was go to the theme park. But then that closed down. I'd rather live in Kalimantan.

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
BTW, does anybody know about 1994 independence set? Silver one can be found, but I couldn't find anything about the regular one, nothing more than 2 pics of 20 and 50 sen on colnect. If they're not silver anyway.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »
Speaking of "B" countries ;D I do have 5 coins from Brunei

1996   KM # 34   1993-2000   1 Sen
1977   KM # 16   1977-1993   5 Sen
1980   KM # 17   1977-1993   10 Sen
1993   KM # 18   1977-1993   20 Sen
1981   KM # 19   1977-1993   50 Sen

However I do not have any coins from Burundi      

They are close together...Alphabetically  ;)

Dale

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 11:28:32 AM »
BTW, does anybody know about 1994 independence set? Silver one can be found, but I couldn't find anything about the regular one, nothing more than 2 pics of 20 and 50 sen on colnect. If they're not silver anyway.

They are listed on the bank website (at the bottom of the page) -
http://www.ambd.gov.bn/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=132:10th-anniversary-of-independence-of-brunei-darussalam-1994

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 03:24:33 PM »
It was this topic that caused me to have my eyes checked. I had looked at the index of New Posts and thought to myself "What  *!$$^* coins of Brunel?"
My glasses will be ready Tuesday.