Author Topic: Qajar 100 Dinar AH13xx  (Read 276 times)

Offline maudry

• Honorary Member
Qajar 100 Dinar AH13xx
« on: August 13, 2021, 11:26:02 PM »
This is a relatively nice 100 Dinars KM#885.
The year is not very clear.
The top of the final 3 is still visible (I have put it in green in the extraction) but the other digit, a zero or a one is completely missing.
Size: 31mm
Weight: 10.00gr - (I believe this is the first coin I have that is exactly 10.00gr on my scale)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Qajar 100 Dinar AH13xx
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 11:28:44 AM »
Nice coin Maudry :)
I think that's 1300 / mint :"Teheran" at bottom under the wreath
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 11:50:47 AM »
The date is 1303 ١٣٠٣  ;D

Here's how I know. First the circumstantial evidence. On your superb enlargement, it is clear that the more or less horizontal lines at 10 and 11 o'clock are hairline breaks in the die. Conclusion: quality control of the dies was lax.

Now for the meat. The first digit of the date was engraved together with the rest of the design. The rest of the date was added as necessary with a small punch. Keep in mind that this type was introduced in 1297, when it was clear that the second digit would change soon. Imagine that punch. The operational part of it must have been super tiny. You'd have to inspect it with a strong magnifying glass to check its quality. Imagine that nobody took the trouble of doing that.

Here's the key part. The punch had broken more or less diagonally from lower left to almost upper right. The lower part was coming loose. Except nobody knew. The punch was placed correctly, the hammer fell WHAM! and the lower part broke away instantly. As it did, the upper part slipped towards the upper right, reflecting the angle of the hammer and the void left. Note that the flags of the first and second 3 are aligned.

Here's the romantic part. The breakaway part of the punch hit the minter just above his right eye. He started bleeding and panicked. Others came, saw all the blood and were mightily impressed, but the panicked minter cared only for his tiny cut in the head, not for what had happened. He was led away to be bandaged, leaving the job of cleaning up the mess to a junior mint employee named Ali. Ali got some water and a piece of cloth, wiped off the blood, saw that the punch had broken and deposited it with other metallic waste. He saw the die and took it to the press, where nobody was left, because they were all looking at the medic treating their bleeding colleague. When calm returned, nobody noticed the new die had been punched rather imperfectly.

I am concluding with the Sherlock Holmes part. We have half of a punch, slid up on the coin. The three is clear and so is the upper part of another three further on. Note that there is enough place for another digit between the two. According to KM, the third digit of the date after 1299 can be zero, one or three. Of these, only the zero (a dot) is small enough not to show at all above the punch break. A one or three would have left traces of their upper part.

QED

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 12:23:26 PM »
Thank you Peter, the coin has a date error showing 1330; coin details:
Qajar, Nasir al-Din Shah, 1303 AH, AE 100 Dinar, Tehran mint (AH 1264-1314/1848-1896 AD)
Reverse (First photo): the Farsi legend:
رايج مملكت ايران ,  Rayej Mamlekat Iran ( Coin of the Kingdom of Iran) in the center circle, the denomination value is “ Hundred Dinar صد دینار “ is below, and the mint “ Tehran طهران “ is at the bottom.
Obverse (Second photo): Crown above radiant lion head within wreath, the date in error “1330” which refers to “ 1303 ۱۳۰۳ ” is at the bottom.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 01:27:53 PM »
Look at the spacing of the numerals, Maythem. There is no space for another digit after the second three in the triangle available for the date and the distance between the first and second three would be too large.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 04:13:12 PM »
Thank you Peter, yes I agree and what I have posted that  the error date shown is " 1330 ۱۳۳۰". The attached table shows the date variations on this coin. The row No. 13 matches maudry's coin, and according to the table the actual date is “ 1303 ۱۳۰۳ ”.

Maythem

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 05:13:43 PM »
During my daily walk I was thinking about you, Maythem, so by the time I got home I was ready to make these pictures. First, I reconstructed the broken punch. The red line where the punch broke is fantasy, of course.

Now, I could correct the angle of the punch and restore the second three.

That leaves the missing number. We agree that it was a zero, else the top part would have been visible. I tried your solution: 1330. As you can see, the space between the two threes is wrong. Again, the size of the zero is fantasy.

So I tried 1303 instead. That looks good to me.

Peter

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 05:35:13 PM »
Thank you Peter for the lovely layouts. That solves the problem of the date and we all agree it is “ 1303 ۱۳۰۳ ”.

Maythem

Offline maudry

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 10:43:42 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.
Amazing the stories imagined around this coin. :thumbsup:
Yes the date is probably 1303.