King Edward -1 Rupee genuine or fake

Started by m&l, August 13, 2021, 06:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m&l

I spotted a King Edward 1 Rupee 1904  B incuse coin recently in quite pristine condition with slight ghost impression but with some unusual dings ,dents and the like
1.There is a large blemish near the ear
2.The N in one rupee is slightly tilted serif

I have a two questions
1 .Is it real
2. do fake coins have such small  details like incuses??  :o :o

brandm24

I can't comment as the authenticity of your coin, manan, but the indent near the ear gives me concern. Rather than a heavy "ding" from rough handling it looks to be either a planchet flaw or a die problem. I doubt that a die so damaged would have been used to strike coins.

On the other hand the denticles look good to me. Many fakes exhibit weakness or other irregularities in the denticles or rims. I've seen denticle problems on many fakes, including US issues. Good luck in sorting it out.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

I think the ear blemish is not a blemish. On this portrait, the ear is dug in; the ear is often fairly well preserved when the coin is worn. Yours is actually worn. I'd call it F-VF. The hair and sideburns are not deeply cut on this type, so they disappear quickly, as on your coin. If the coin is as shiny as I suspect it is, it has been cleaned recently. While uncleaned silver looks satiny light grey, cleaned silver has a bluish grey, steely look. The ding in the N of ONE is no concern either. It is exactly what to expect when another coin falls perpendicular on the coin.

The edge is indeed a bit funny, but I wouldn't call the coin a fake because of it. On the contrary, in order to get as much money as possible for a fake modern coin, the fake has to look as good as possible and the date/mint should preferably be scarce.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

After taking a second look the surfaces, especially on the portrait and in the reverse fields, looks to be a bit granular and uneven. It really is hard to tell because of the brightness of the coin but if that's the case it suggests a possible counterfeit. Again, this is just my opinion as I'm not much familiar with the series.

Bruce
Always Faithful

m&l

Pardon the quality of the picture,i will try to get better ones clicked soon :) :)

brandm24

Thanks, that would be helpful. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

I wanted to post images of a legitimate 1-rupee shown on the NGC website. It's dated 1907 but the design is the same as the 1904. I couldn't come up with any decent pictures of a 1904 but this one is good to use as a comparison. I'll wait to see if manan can post a clearer picture of his example.

Bruce
Always Faithful

m&l

I tried my best in getting these fitin the size limit,hope these help :) :)

brandm24

I just noticed the new picture shows a small problem on the obverse rim directly under the point of the bust. I can't tell if  it's damage or a flaw on the coin. The gouge in front of the ear still bothers me as I haven't seen a legitimate example that looks the same.

There are a few other things you can check in order to determine authenticity. The standard weight of this issue  is 11.66 grams, diameter is 30.6 mm., and thickness 1.9 mm.

There are a small number of fake 1907's known, probably Chinese, but I haven't seen a picture of one.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Paulsoumyaj

Posting pics of fake 1907 Edward. I have inherited this coin so its a pretty old fake.

$and€r

Here is mine 1904 Rupee..

$and€r

Mister T

Quote from: $and€r on September 13, 2021, 06:46:56 PM
I don't think so.. Do you see red flags?

Nothing jumping out at me - the jagged denticles seem common on coins struck at the Indian mints.