Author Topic: Ramtanka: Indian Temple token  (Read 20716 times)

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Re: Ramtanka: Indian Temple token
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 02:15:20 PM »
I would be interested in understanding what the images communicated to the average citizen who may have used them.  That and simply the fun of amassing a small collection of something I am not likely to ever see here.
Dale

This is a very educational thread for me. Oldecurb's piece has a quality and style I have not seen before. The last pieces Engipress is showing have a totally different style and in spite of the funny date and denomination I appreciate them as collector's items that represent a genuine angle of Indian culture. Even there, you can make different approaches. Oesho once wrote he is interested in the religious angle. I would be more interested in the comic angle, such as one of these passing off Napoleon as an Indian hero.

Peter

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »
One of the coins (with the two cats) is the same coin that Oesho has refered to.

The Words written in Hindi reads "SACH BOLO, POORA TOLO" meaning "SPEAK TRUTH, WEIGH FULL". It refers to the same story of a monkey and the two fighting cats.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 02:32:09 PM »
I would be interested in understanding what the images communicated to the average citizen who may have used them.  That and simply the fun of amassing a small collection of something I am not likely to ever see here.
Dale

Dear Dale,

The images on these coins are generally of Hindu Gods and Goddess. Anyone with a basic knowledge of coins will at once tell you that they are modern fakes.

When I asked the coin dealer that who are the people who purchase these coins, he told me that mostly foreign tourists are the buyers of these coins. One more thing, you will generally find these coins on the roadside outside some Monument where lot of foreign tourists are visiting. Yes, some Indian also buy them, but purely as a "Lucky Charm' for the image of his/her favourite God/Goddess. That is the reason why you can find almost all the Popular Gods like Ram, Hanuman, Shiv, Lakshmi (Goddess of wealth), Durga (Goddess of Power), Saraswati (Goddess of Education) etc on these coins. Can you believe, that as per Hindu Mythology, there are supposed to be 84 Crores (840 Millions) gods and goddess in the Universe?  :o ???

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 02:40:54 PM »
You mention "Lucky Charm".  Now that ties in nicely with stuff I already collect.  I collect lucky tokens.  I have a series of 6 or 7 Chinese US Silver Dollar Sized medals that are sold to tourist and have images that refer to very old semi-religious folk tales.  ....840 million gods and goddesses?  Now that is a collecting opportunity if I ever heard of  one  :-)  Thanks for your post.  Very interesting

Dale

Dear Dale,

The images on these coins are generally of Hindu Gods and Goddess. Anyone with a basic knowledge of coins will at once tell you that they are modern fakes.

When I asked the coin dealer that who are the people who purchase these coins, he told me that mostly foreign tourists are the buyers of these coins. One more thing, you will generally find these coins on the roadside outside some Monument where lot of foreign tourists are visiting. Yes, some Indian also buy them, but purely as a "Lucky Charm' for the image of his/her favourite God/Goddess. That is the reason why you can find almost all the Popular Gods like Ram, Hanuman, Shiv, Lakshmi (Goddess of wealth), Durga (Goddess of Power), Saraswati (Goddess of Education) etc on these coins. Can you believe, that as per Hindu Mythology, there are supposed to be 84 Crores (840 Millions) gods and goddess in the Universe?  :o ???

Abhay

Offline Salvete

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 02:13:40 PM »
It would be easy to collect many types for next to no cash in India.  E-bay is full of worn Temple Tokens offered at very high prices.  Anyone outside India with a friend or helpful contact there could probably get lots sent to him for under $3 each, but solid silver and gold ones, as somebody wrote earlier, will cost tens or hundreds of dollars.  And bear in mind that the resale market is rather small compared to  Akbar rupees.  It is also sensible to be aware of the difference in availablity and cost of genuinely old ones, and new fabrications - and you cannot rely on dates, which are usually fictitious.  Still it is an interesting and cheap interest.

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Offline LinZi

• Reader
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 08:05:29 PM »
In 2005 I picked up five different temple tokens in Bodh Gaya Bihar. I highly doubted they were worth anything-- but seemed very interesting to me. I am not sure if all are new-- or if any are older at all. They all have interesting designs though. All but one have a psuedo "East India Company" on one side with various dates (I am sure false) of 1616, 1818, 1834. The other sides show a variety of Gods and Goddesses (I picked ones I found interesting-- they were in a giant bin). I am not sure what they are made out off, one is lighter than the rest.

In addition, I have one this is different-- more of a true "rama tanka". It has Ram, Sita, Hanuman, and 4 others on one side (Ram and Sita seated below an umbrella). The other side has a somewhat crude version of Hanuman. For this one-- I entertain the possibility that it might actually be older-- though I really have no clue.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 08:14:54 PM »
Sorry, they date from the late '80s. See this post by a renowned expert of Indian coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline LinZi

• Reader
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »
Thanks Peter... so the "East India" tokens were probably from the 80s.... what about the one different one-- the Ram-Sita-Hanuman token? Any ideas, or probably from the same time?

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 10:04:46 PM »
You will find a similar scene on the first token in this thread. Presumably, older tokens are silver or silvered.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 12:33:55 AM »
Here they are found in dealers junk trays. This is the only one I have, can someone interpret this?

29mm brass.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:07:23 AM by Niels »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 01:54:46 AM »
I think they are wonderful and wish I could get a handfull of different for junk box prices  :(
Dale

Here they are found in dealers junk trays....

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 05:11:41 AM »
Here they are found in dealers junk trays. This is the only one I have, can someone interpret this?

29mm brass.

This brass token shows Lord Ganesha on the one side, and on the other side, it shows Riddhi and Siddhi, the two consorts of Lord Ganesha

The token reads "Shree Ganeshay Namah" and "Shubh Laabh and Ridhhi Sidhhi" on both sides.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 05:39:53 AM »
Thank you, a great deal of information there. This one I believe is quite old? I have had it for many years.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline $$

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 05:47:37 AM »
Dear All

Last week i have seen Shri Sai baba image on the coin dated 1616. I wondered and asked the seller whether it is genuine, she confidentily argued with me for long time till the time one of his colleque joined her and he started fighting with me on the topic. I explained him that if he want to fight with me, I can sue you all to jail (Behind bars) for selling FAKE coins. Public gathered there (Road passer) and asked me what happened. I gave the reason and asked them one question, Is Shri Sai baba was there in 1616 ? Baba was in 1900's

The dealer was shocked and apologies me and said sorry to me.

Samir

Thank you, a great deal of information there. This one I believe is quite old? I have had it for many years.
S
  S
     S

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 05:52:34 AM »
 ;D  I like that story!

Reminds be of the guy that argued with me about the 1776 US Trade Dollar made at the San Francisco mint.
lol. The mint wasn't even built then.
Dale

Dear All

Last week i have seen Shri Sai baba image on the coin dated 1616. I wondered and asked the seller whether it is genuine, she confidentily argued with me for long time till the time one of his colleque joined her and he started fighting with me on the topic. I explained him that if he want to fight with me, I can sue you all to jail (Behind bars) for selling FAKE coins. Public gathered there (Road passer) and asked me what happened. I gave the reason and asked them one question, Is Shri Sai baba was there in 1616 ? Baba was in 1900's

The dealer was shocked and apologies me and said sorry to me.

Samir