Uncertainty over whether Charles will be depicted on Canadian coinage

Started by eurocoin, July 08, 2021, 06:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

Internal documents of the Royal Canadian Mint that were recently provided to me show that there is uncertainty over whether then King Charles will ever be depicted on the obverse of the Canadian coinage. The nearly 400 pages provide a very detailed plan for everything that needs to happen when there will be a new monarch. The Royal Canadian Mint first started preparing for a change of monarch in early 2017. Initially for a long time there was assumed that it was a new effigy they needed to prepare for but following conversations between the Royal Canadian Mint and the Government of Canada on the subject, of which Buckingham Palace was also informed, the option that no new portrait was going to be introduced at all was explicitly added.

The documents also show that the Royal Canadian Mint maintains close contact on the subject with the Perth Mint and the Royal Mint. The Royal Australian Mint was, somewhat remarkably, not named.

<k>

Commonwealth realms are not obliged to use the royal portrait on their coins, though it has long been traditional to do so in Canada. Charles is not viewed with the same confidence as the current Queen by many. Already there is talk of ditching the monarchy in various Commonwealth realms. Monarchy is after all a vestige of medieval times. Why should we need it nowadays? Maybe it will go the way of mangles and crank handles. Perhaps this is a sign that Canada is also thinking of transitioning to a republic.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

quaziright

The rumours have been going around for years that the cost of arms of Canada will replace the portrait as soon as the queen dies. I've said as much quite a few times on the forum. The republic however is a long ways away. Even if there were a referendum held, it would attract very few people to the polls

<k>

Quote from: quaziright on July 08, 2021, 08:34:28 PM
The republic however is a long ways away. Even if there were a referendum held, it would attract very few people to the polls

I wouldn't rule it out. We live in times of such change that attempting to predict the future is foolhardy.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

I am aware that there have been rumours and speculation, but I found it nevertheless interesting to find official documents about it. I am not sure about the possibility of it becoming a republic either but based on the documents it seems that the Canadian government has a clear preference for no Charles on the coinage. And the most likely alternative is indeed the coat of arms.

redlock

Quote from: eurocoin on July 08, 2021, 06:09:21 PM
whether then King Charles will ever be depicted on the obverse of the Canadian coinage.

Well, you should probably say ''circulation coinage.'' I am certain the Royal Canadian Mint will use the occasion to mint as many NCLT coins featuring the new king as possible.  ;)