Author Topic: Civic copper of Rasht / sheep feeding her lamb  (Read 195 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Civic copper of Rasht / sheep feeding her lamb
« on: July 04, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »
7,54g / 19-21mm
An undated coin which is interesting despite its wear : it shows a sheep nursing her lamb on a face and a singing bird (a nightingale ?) standing, perched on the letter " b " of "zarb", on the other face. The mintname is partially legible over the bird : "Rasht".

This coin is catalogued by B.Alaedini (p. 12) among some miscellaneous unattributed coppers; due to the uncentered reverse, the mintname is off and B.Alaedini didn't notice the bird (partially visible on his coin).
Attribution done now... :)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Civic copper of Rasht / sheep feeding her lamb
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 10:49:48 AM »
I am not supposed to like sketches, because you may have added or deleted something. Too bad. I like them anyway. They make me see more on the coin and on a coin like this it is worthwhile to take in every detail.

The civic issues are short on arms and war and grandiose titles and long on scenes of pleasure and peace. The nightingale can in my mind only refer to the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. The sheep can easily be explained as a symbol of peace and plenty. Sheep that lead a quiet life will be bigger, have more lambs and yield more food.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Civic copper of Rasht / sheep feeding her lamb
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 10:12:52 AM »
 ... not everyone can be called Mr Valentine  :D....
the nightingale is a universal subject of poetry and in Persia, Omar Khayyam really dealed with it with maestery.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)