Loaned For Amusement Only

Started by bhx7, June 29, 2021, 03:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhx7

Hi Guys

So I have started to catalogue the "For Amusement Only", "Loaned For Amusement Only", etc.. tokens. They obviously come under the basic batch numbers in the Misc section of Hayes (391, 392, 393 and so on).

I have two that as yet I haven't been able to find in Hayes or the supplement, or even Mals supplement X.
Are these as yet undocumented varieties, or have I managed to miss them

The first is 30.1mm; 1.6mm thick and weighs 8.76g  Obv: LOANED FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY curved around toothed rim, with 2 diamond spaces. Rev: PART & PROPERTY OF THE MACHINE curved around toothed rim with single dot spacer.

The sceond is 30mm; 1.5 thick and weighs 7.85g Obv: LOANED FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY curved around toothed rim, with cross spacer C/H. Rev: PART & PROPERTY OF THE MACHINE curved around toothed rim with cross spacer.

Thanks all

Figleaf

Sorry, I can't help, but my legal side was tickled by the text. The intention is obviously to press the user to return the token to the fun fair tent holder (to use a Scandinavian term). This explains the "loan" phrase. The legend PART AND PROPERTY OF THE MACHINE is meant to make the point that walking away with the token is a form of theft. However, PART OF THE MACHINE alone would have made that point. In fact, machines have no legal personality, so they can't have property. PART OF THE MACHINE; PROPERTY OF ITS OWNER would have been legally correct. The text is common, though, so I guess it was just liked and copied without too much thought.

Economically, owners should be glad if clients held on to their tokens as long as the price of the token was higher than its cost. I suppose owners thought only of the expense of ordering more tokens, not of the cash they received for handing out the tokens.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

I have a further 26 of these tokens that are unlisted.

The distance between Land Y is necessary to identify these exactly. if you could measure that would be a help to further identification.

(The measurement taken from the closest points of the letters L and Y)
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bhx7

Quote from: malj1 on June 29, 2021, 12:54:39 PM
I have a further 26 of these tokens that are unlisted.

The distance between Land Y is necessary to identify these exactly. if you could measure that would be a help to further identification.

(The measurement taken from the closest points of the letters L and Y)

Sorry Mal, for some reason I wasn't notified of your reply.
So for the above, the first is 10.5mm from L to Y
The second is 12.2mm from L to Y

Thanks
Brian

africancoins

The second piece you show seems to be Hayes-393.7

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

bhx7

Thanks Peter and Paul,

Much appreciated. For some reason I am not be notified of replies on this post, even though the button is clicked!!

Cheers
Brian

malj1

Your first piece with two diamond spacers I have listed as Hayes 393.M13 I read the measurement as 11mm L-Y
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bhx7

Thanks Mal

Once again very much appreciated. Another M addition too.

Cheers
Brian