Should Alderney issue its own circulation coinage?

Started by <k>, June 17, 2021, 10:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Alderney issue its own circulation coinage?

Yes
3 (50%)
No
1 (16.7%)
Don't know
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 02, 2021, 10:01:49 PM

<k>

Alderney is an autonomous dependency of Guernsey.

Alderney does not issue its own circulation coinage and officially uses UK coinage. However, coins of Guernsey and Jersey also circulate on Alderney and are accepted.

Alderney has issued collector coins since 1989.

However, did you know that Alderney once considered issuing its own circulation coins?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

According to National Archives document MINT 34/CTK/Z, in 1984 the Royal Mint and Spink liaised with Alderney about the issuance in 1985 of a circulation coinage for Alderney.

See the documents below.

<k>

So what happened? Did the States of Alderney (the Alderney parliament)  vote against a circulation coinage?

More interestingly, were any designs produced for an Alderney coinage? If so, were only sketches produced? Or were models and even trial coins produced?

Does anybody know?

In fact, the documents above suggest that models had been produced. Or were these models for the obverse only of the coins?

Alan71

I voted no in that its population of just 2,000 is very small compared with other sterling/pound-at-par territories.

Jersey - 107,800
Guernsey - 62,792 (plus Sark - 792 and Herm - 60)
Isle of Man - 83,314
Gibraltar - 34,003
Falkland Islands - 3,398
St Helena - 4,534 (5,633 for St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha)

Falklands and St Helena have comparatively small populations but they are remote from any of the others.  Alderney's proximity to Guernsey (and the fact that it is part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey) means its own currency would just be a vanity project. 

From my experience, Guernsey notes and coins are the most common there.  UK second and Jersey last.  However, Guernsey have never had any coin designs reflecting Alderney.  The Sark windmill did feature on 2p coins of the 1971-1984 series, but that was the only non-Guernsey design (though the 1p did feature a gannet, common in Alderney).  Maybe Guernsey should address this.

<k>

The old Guernsey gannet penny was indeed meant to represent Alderney. But things lapse. Similarly, the UK no longer has separate pound coin designs for each of the four nations.

I am sure lots of collectors would welcome circulating Alderney 50 pence coins. Some collectors can never get enough of the outrageously popular heptagons.

I have no clue which themes Alderney might use as designs, especially since I have never visited the island.

<k>

I have looked further into the document, and the discussion regarding a circulation coinage continued into September 1991.

The document does not reveal why the coinage was never ultimately issued.

<k>

I forgot to mention that in September 2021, the Royal Mint Museum investigated the matter for me. Sadly, they concluded, "We have found nothing within the collection and there are no models or artwork that relate to this."