Challenge L.V.S.Co. Token

Started by bhx7, June 14, 2021, 11:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhx7

Hi All

I have just got this little token amongst a small joblot. I have been through Hayes but can only see a similar one at 18.5mm
This weighs 2.04g, is 1.1mm thick and diameter 17.4mm
Obv. legend- Challenge in script C.V.S Co. curved below
Rev. *2* between two stars surrounded by a rope line

Help with ID appreciated.
Thanks
Brian

africancoins

I have a piece similar to the one you show but a "4" instead of a "2" (and it has a hole...)..

My piece is also thereabouts of 17.5mm. It is not listed by Hayes.

There is a chance that the Challenge L.V.S.Co. tokens are actually always about 17.5mm. The listing saying 18.5mm could possible be an error although the listings generally have very few errors with such as diameters.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

bhx7

Hi Paul

After looking at Ralph Hayes research and the way he meticulously describes the tokens, I couldn't see him missing the stars either side of the 2 on the reverse. I could imagine a typing error for 18.5 instead of 17.5 as it happens to everyone.

I did find his article asking for more examples of the Challenge LVS Co Tokens for his book, which I am assuming he never got as there obviously no others logged.
I would be interested to see how many are out there and if any other members on here have any.

Thanks
Brian

malj1

I have a lot of these Hayes 88. so not rare as suggested by the (R). Ralph may not have seen the token himself as some were from other collectors notifying him of their collections such as myself for instance, this too was in the days before PCs, we just sent rubbings by snail mail.

I measured a random selection of these and all were 17.5mm and have the two stars either side of the figure two
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bhx7

Thanks Mal,

think that confirms a typo and discription omission from Hayes. Will mark this up simply as 88

Brian

malj1

Here is the info from Dudley Deaver, who got the info from the Coin monthly article by Priscilla Langridge. this suggests Ralph Hayes took the info from there.

BTW its 88. don't forget the dot.
Malcolm

malj1

In supplement 5 that Ralph Hayes issued in April 1988 there is a note correcting the information given in the catalogue.

Note 88. There is a dash under the o of CO Rev. 2 with a star spacer each side within a circle close to plain rim. Brass/17.5mm. (R)

The one he saw must have been very worn as it is actually a circle of dots. I added three more of these today I now have 23 in total.
Malcolm