News:

Register to attend our live meetings.

Main Menu

Medieval AE brockage

Started by Pellinore, May 12, 2021, 07:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

I couldn't resist this copper coin, roughly from the 7th / 13th century, that is a clear brockage. But... what is it? The lettering is clear enough, but I don't know where to start. Is it a Seljuq of Rum, an Ilkhan fals?

The process is clear enough: one side is alright, the other side is the negative impression of another coin that stuck in the die - but it's a bit lower on the planchet.

19.5 mm, 2.78 gr. This seller often has coins from the east of Anatolia.

-- Paul

THCoins

I'd say it is not just a brockage, but also a double strike. Clearest to see on the double 'azam part on the left. Both as the top and in the third line. Because of what's behind the lowest al-a'zam it is likely attributable to Seljuk ruler Izz ad-din Kayka'us II (643-647AH) i think.

aws22

Dear Paul, Anthony is right but I thought it is one sided Ilkhan coin, there is no Uyghur script which makes it a Seljuq coin:
Ilkhan, Ghazan Mahmud, (AH 694-703/1295-1304 AD)
Lettering:
عدل \ السلطان الا \ عظم غازان  , Adil / Sultan al-Azam Ghazan (referring to Ghazan Mahmud).

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

THCoins

Compare for example with this one on Zeno.

aws22

Thank you Anthony, yes I was in doubt, but I do agree with your ID.
Seljuq of Rum, Kayka'us II (bin Kaykhusraw, 'Izz al-Din), AE Fals, mint? (AH 643-647/1245-1249 AD)
Left photo:
عدل   ,    Adil
السلطان الا   , al-Sultan al-
عظم عز الد , A'zam 'Izz al-D
نيا والدين , unya wa al-Din
عدل \ السلطان الاعظم عز الدنيا والدين , Adil, al-Sultan al-A'zam 'Izz al-Dunya wa al-Din.
Right photo:
Is an image of the left photo.
Kaykaus II or Kayka'us II (عز الدين كيكاوس بن كيخسرو‎); 'Izz al-Din Kaykawus ibn Kaykhusraw, he was the Sultan of the Seljuqs of Rum from 1246 until 1262.

Maythem

THCoins

Glad we agree Maythem. By the way 'Izz al-D is written i also had to consider different options before getting at this one. Purely by intuition i already had decided this looked Seljuk.
One thing i still do disagree with you is the top line. That's not Adil, but a double struck a'zam. There's no adil in the design of this type, compare with this one. The double strike also is visible on the incuse side where there are traces of "sultan" and "a'zam" twice.

aws22

Thank you Anthony, yes it could be double struck A'zam:
Seljuq of Rum, Kayka'us II (bin Kaykhusraw, 'Izz al-Din), AE Fals, mint? (AH 643-647/1245-1249 AD)
Left photo:
السلطان الا   , al-Sultan al-
عظم عز الد , A'zam 'Izz al-D
نيا والدين , unya wa al-Din
السلطان الاعظم عز الدنيا والدين ,  al-Sultan al-A'zam 'Izz al-Dunya wa al-Din.
Right photo:
Is an image of the left photo.
Kaykaus II or Kayka'us II (عز الدين كيكاوس بن كيخسرو‎); 'Izz al-Din Kaykawus ibn Kaykhusraw, he was the Sultan of the Seljuqs of Rum from 1246 until 1262.

Maythem

SC

Very interesting!  I have three Roman brokerage coins but have never seen an Islamic one before.  Thanks for posting.

SC

Pellinore

Quote from: THCoins on May 12, 2021, 09:06:34 PM
I'd say it is not just a brockage, but also a double strike. Clearest to see on the double 'azam part on the left. Both as the top and in the third line. Because of what's behind the lowest al-a'zam it is likely attributable to Seljuk ruler Izz ad-din Kayka'us II (643-647AH) i think.

Thanks for this remark. What exactly happened in the mint with this coin? There must be something that explains the process.

Maythem and THCoins, as always you laid out the case excellently. Here's another Kayka'us II brockage that's on this website, posted by Vic, @capnbirdseye in 2014.

In fact both brockages are in better condition than most Kayka'us II coppers that I saw on Zeno.

-- Paul

Pellinore

Quote from: otlichnik on May 13, 2021, 10:17:45 PM
Very interesting!  I have three Roman brokerage coins but have never seen an Islamic one before.  Thanks for posting.

SC

I have a special interest in brockage coins (well, the ancient and medieval ones). Here are some others on World of Coins:
- A Juchid silver of 733? AH.
- A Probus antoninianus with a beautiful patina
- A Caracalla large Provincial bronze with an attractive patina
- A group of three antoniniani and my spectacular flipflop Constans centenionalis.

-- Paul