News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Is it Vijaynagar paisa?

Started by Adv. Girish bhambhani, April 05, 2021, 05:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adv. Girish bhambhani

Kindly help me in identifying this small beautiful coin.. weight is 5.30 gms approx
Thank you for your help!
Regards
Girish
GIRISH

mti

The writings on the second image reminds me of Chamba...  what is the diameter of your coin...?

THCoins

The elephant in combination with the nagari script would make me think of an earlier southern issue rather than Chamba. The script is quite crude though, the top line could be "Sri Pa", the next line i can not make sense of "Ta tha Ta" ? Could not find it among the common suspects.

Adv. Girish bhambhani

Quote from: mti on April 05, 2021, 08:39:28 PM
The writings on the second image reminds me of Chamba...  what is the diameter of your coin...?

Diameter is 13.60mm approx.
GIRISH

THCoins

13 mm and 5.3 grams means it is a very thick coin ?

Adv. Girish bhambhani

Quote from: THCoins on April 06, 2021, 11:35:55 AM
13 mm and 5.3 grams means it is a very thick coin ?

0.3 to 0.4 mm thick.
GIRISH

THCoins

Quote0.3 to 0.4 mm thick

3. to 4 mm you likely mean ?

Adv. Girish bhambhani

Quote from: THCoins on April 06, 2021, 02:03:43 PM
3. to 4 mm you likely mean ?

Yes Sorry, my mistake.. 3 to 4 mm thick.
GIRISH

Palomares

look similar MSI1-539, legend Devanagari : Sri Pa-raudha deva-raya.

Adv. Girish bhambhani

Quote from: Palomares on April 08, 2021, 09:32:36 PM
look similar MSI1-539, legend Devanagari : Sri Pa-raudha deva-raya.

Sorry, could not understand this... MSI1-539 .. is it some book reference number?
Kindly let me know the princely state to which this coin belongs.
Thank you so much for your help!
GIRISH

Figleaf

MSI = Mitchiner, South India: Michael Mitchiner: The Coinage and History of Southern India ISBN-13 : 978-0904173222

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Palomares

Yes that's the book. :like:
Mitchiner places this coin in the period of Devaraya I (1406-22) and Devaraya II (1424-46) and says: Some copper coins found Hampi bear an inscription that can be read '' Sri-Pa / raudha deva / raya ' '. Equating '' Praudha '' of the inscriptions' 'Paraudha' 'of the coins requires some license since it involves separating the compound character' 'Prau' '(Somalapuram grant) into two separate characters'' Pa '' and '' Rau ' '.
The attribution of the Paraudha Devaraya coins remains debatable. They may have been struck by Devaraya I, or by Praudhapratapa Devaraya in his capacity of provincial governor.

K. Ganesh in his book 'Karnataka coins', places this coin under the rule of Devaraya II (Ganesh 9.76).

Adv. Girish bhambhani

Quote from: Figleaf on April 11, 2021, 10:07:20 PM
MSI = Mitchiner, South India: Michael Mitchiner: The Coinage and History of Southern India ISBN-13 : 978-0904173222

Peter

Thank you Peter for your help!
GIRISH

Adv. Girish bhambhani

Quote from: Palomares on April 12, 2021, 09:12:59 PM
Yes that's the book. :like:
Mitchiner places this coin in the period of Devaraya I (1406-22) and Devaraya II (1424-46) and says: Some copper coins found Hampi bear an inscription that can be read '' Sri-Pa / raudha deva / raya ' '. Equating '' Praudha '' of the inscriptions' 'Paraudha' 'of the coins requires some license since it involves separating the compound character' 'Prau' '(Somalapuram grant) into two separate characters'' Pa '' and '' Rau ' '.
The attribution of the Paraudha Devaraya coins remains debatable. They may have been struck by Devaraya I, or by Praudhapratapa Devaraya in his capacity of provincial governor.

K. Ganesh in his book 'Karnataka coins', places this coin under the rule of Devaraya II (Ganesh 9.76).

Thank you so much for the details!
GIRISH