BIOT 2021 £2 Parrotfish

Started by Deeman, March 02, 2021, 01:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeman

From Pobjoy mint - BIOT 2021 £2 parrotfish.
Cu-Ni issue limit 10,000; green and blue titanium limit 5,000.

The coin features three parrotfish amongst the corals in tropical waters. The Parrotfish can be found in relatively shallow tropical and subtropical oceans with the group displaying the largest species richness in the Indo-Pacific. The arrangement of their teeth is highly unusual - arranged on the external surface of their jaw bones forming a parrot-like beak which gives them their name. This is not the only unusual characteristic of this particularly species as they start their life as females but then change into males during their lifespan.

<k>

What is the diameter of this collector coin?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Deeman

Quote from: <k> on March 02, 2021, 02:01:07 PM
What is the diameter of this collector coin?

Diameter: 36.10 mm

Weight: 10.00 gms

<k>

Thank you, Deeman. So that's almost crown-sized again. Bulky! Not a British 2 pound size.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Deeman

I thought the trend was moving towards heptagonal 50p and bi-metallic £2 coins - but clearly not!

MCz

To be more precise: copper-nickel coin has diameter 38.6mm and weight 28.28g so it's exactly crown sized.
Titanium coin is little smaller (36.1mm) and with only 10g of weight. This second size was already in use since some years, I have one with two turtles BIOT from 2017. I saw only Animals as subject of titanium coins (turtles, fish BIOT, whales BAT, flamingos BVI), others subjects seems that only copper-nickel. This smaller diameter 36.1 is size of old Gibraltar/IOM 5 pounds coins made by Pobjoy from virenium if I correctly remember.

And yes, all three teritories (SGSS, BIOT and BAT) started to issue 50p and bimetallic 2 pounds (BAT also 1£) and it looks that they decreased number of crown sized 2£ coins instead.