Author Topic: Abu Sa'id Type G 2 dirham Mosul AH 730  (Read 123 times)

Offline TTerrier

Abu Sa'id Type G 2 dirham Mosul AH 730
« on: February 22, 2021, 06:00:12 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help on this dirham - as you can see from the image the date seems to be AH 730 in diwani numerals.  In between the last part of the date and zarb there is another word I can't figure out (in blue box).  I know some of these coins have the month on them - is this the name of a month?  Thanks for your help!

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Re: Abu Sa'id Type G 2 dirham Mosul AH 730
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 03:55:48 PM »
Thank you TTerrier for sharing this coin which has a margin of 8 segments showing the date followed by the word “ Hilal هلال “ in the segment at 4 O’clock. Margin reads:
ضرب \ في \ سنه \ ثلا \ ثين  \ وسبع \ مائه \هلال , Struck in the year 730 Hilal.
Your question is what “ Hilal هلال ” means?
My own interpretation of this term comes in three points:
1.   Each month of the Islamic calendar commences on the birth of the new lunar cycle. Traditionally this is based on actual observation of the moon's crescent (Hilal هلال), thereby beginning of the new month.
So Hilal could mean in this case “730 Lunar years”.
2. Because of importance of observing the moon's crescent (Hilal هلال) in " Ramadan رمضان ", the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, observed by Muslims worldwide as a month of fasting, in this case "Ramadan" is the Hijri month in which this coin was struck.
3.    Since this coin was struck in Mosul in the year 730 AH, the word Hilal could be related to the name of “Muhammad ibn Hilal al-Munajjim al-Mawsili” (the astronomer of Mosul), who crafted an astronomical instrument, metal “Globe” in Mosul in the year (AH 674/1275 AD). The globe is made of two metal hemispheres with 48 engraved constellations and about 1025 stars indicated by inlaid silver points with the inscriptions in Kufic script. The globe is 240 mm in diameter and includes the words sharq, gharb, shimal and janub (meaning the cardinal directions E, W, N, S) on the circumference of the horizon.
I hope that helps.

Maythem
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:38:22 PM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline TTerrier

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 06:50:49 PM »
Thank you very much for your detailed response Maythem!  I looked on Zeno before posting and couldn't see anything similar from this mint in Type G, although I did not look at other mints.  There is always interesting historical information to be gleaned from these coins which makes collecting fun.  I will have to read up on the astronomer - it appears that the celestial globe you describe is actually still in existence in the British Museum!

Laird

Offline altaycoins

• altaycoins.com
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 07:15:44 AM »
another example in Tübingen collection #GH10 D1 also Mawsil 730. Not هلال but هلالية. Meaning is same...

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 08:51:54 AM »
Thank you yigit for the clarification. Now the answer to Laird query is clear, the date of the coin in Hijri is " 730 Hijri (Hilaliya) هلاليه ".
There are two types of Hijri year (Sanah), either it is Lunar " Hilaliya هلاليه " Hijri or it is " Shamsi شمسي " Hijri as in the present Iranian calendar.

Maythem
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:12:13 PM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".