News:

Register to attend our live meetings.

Main Menu

Ocean Beach South Shields Tokens

Started by bhx7, February 17, 2021, 03:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhx7

Hi Guys

I have started to put together a collection of tokens from the Ocean Beach Fun Fair South Shields. So far I have 4 varieties:

No.1) 32mm Dia - 2mm Thick - smooth edge - Bronze -  Description:  'OCEAN BEACH' arched at the top and 'SOUTH SHIELDS' at the bottom of the token, with a small anchor pictured at the right-most and left-most area, and a picture of a fair-ground at the centre with people.
No.2) 22.8mm Dia - 1.6 mm Thick - smooth edge - Bronze - Description as above no 1- without people
No.3) 22.8mm Dia - 1.6 mm Thick - smooth edge - Bronze - Description as above no 1 - with crude people and design
No.4) 22.8mm Dia - 1.6 mm Thick - smooth edge - Bronze - Description as above no.1 - with well defined people and design also makers initials under Right hand anchor on one side - RWM

I have also noted a silver type, unsure if it is steel or cupronickle as yet as I am purchasing it as part of a bulk deal.
I would be really interested to see if anyone has any other types or varieties.

Thanks

jezuss

i have 3 other types :

bhx7

Thanks jezuss

So I know what to look out for now  ;D
Very much appreciate it.

Cheers
Brian

jezuss

watch the wrongly written sheilds on two of the tokens...

bhx7

Quote from: jezuss on February 17, 2021, 10:01:04 PM
watch the wrongly written sheilds on two of the tokens...

I hadn't even noticed that. "Slaps forehead!!"

malj1

I have:

No.1) 32mm Dia - 2mm Thick - smooth edge - Brass -  Description:  'OCEAN BEACH' arched at the top and 'SOUTH SHIELDS' at the bottom of the token, with a small anchor pictured at the right-most and left-most area, and a picture of a fair-ground at the centre with people.

No.3) 22.8mm Dia - 1.6 mm Thick - smooth edge - Brass - Description as above no 1 - with crude people and design
No.4) 22.8mm Dia - 1.6 mm Thick - smooth edge - Brass - Description as above no.1 - with well defined people and design also makers initials under Right hand anchor on one side - RWM

and
20.3mm Dia - 1.8 mm Thick - smooth edge - nickel plated brass - with people and SHEILDS incorrectly spelt.

I don't agree with the description bronze!

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

bhx7

Quote from: malj1 on February 17, 2021, 11:22:35 PM

I don't agree with the description bronze!

Happy to stand corrected Malcolm. To be honest it was just for colour difference. Will change to Brass on my index.
Bronze coinage is my main collecting field so just a knee jerk reaction.

Thanks
Brian

malj1

I see mention has not been made regarding the brass token without people along with the small iron token that the big wheel has only a single outline whereas all the others  have a double outline.
Malcolm

jezuss

they also have ¢ marks on the merry-go-round, where the other tokens have stars or no marks.

bhx7

Quote from: jezuss on June 08, 2021, 07:38:40 AM
they also have ¢ marks on the merry-go-round, where the other tokens have stars or no marks.

Quote from: malj1 on June 08, 2021, 06:38:16 AM
I see mention has not been made regarding the brass token without people along with the small iron token that the big wheel has only a single outline whereas all the others  have a double outline.

Now you both have pointed those things ou,t the more you look the more differences you see. Nicely spotted

malj1

I have added a Ocean Beach page to my machine tokens pages here
Malcolm

bhx7

Hi Mal

Yes I saw. I like your pages as images speak a thousand words as they say. Hayes BMT is great, but having the pictures as a confirmation helps tremedously.
Plus the new M additions are great adding to the already extensive list. Just got one today as it happens - Music Hire Group - Uniface 2/- Hayes 274.M3  ;D

Thanks
Brian

malj1

There are now 1000 additions with the M prefix.
Malcolm

bhx7

Quote from: malj1 on July 01, 2021, 06:27:48 AM
There are now 1000 additions with the M prefix.

Amazing work well done. Also thank you for sharing your research, it is extremely appreciated.

Brian

malj1

I now have the nickel plated iron 20.5mm token (without people)
Malcolm