Author Topic: The Twelve Olympian Gods.  (Read 128 times)

Offline Spaniard

The Twelve Olympian Gods.
« on: March 21, 2021, 08:55:57 PM »
Well here's my first ever Greek coin!.....
This is the start of a 12 Olympian gods set in bronze that I'll be working on over the coming year. It will be a slow and tight budgeted endeavour...But must say I'm finding the hunt and research very interesting and will post each new god as I acquire them....Thanks Paul.
The 12 Greek gods who resided on Mount Olympus / The Roman equivalent.
Greek / Roman
1..Zeus / Jupiter
2..Hera / Juno
3..Athena / Minerva
4..Apollo / Apollo
5..Poseidon / Neptune
6..Ares / Mars
7..Artemis / Diana
8..Demeter / Ceres
9..Aphrodite / Venus
10.Hermes / Mercury
11.Hephaistos / Vulcan
12.Dionysos / Bacchus
Note..The Greeks did not always agree on the 12 and some lists include Hestia, Hercules or Leto, with Dionysos often the one replaced.

First of the dozen for me is.....

ATHENA.
In Greek Mythology, 'Athena' was believed to have been born from the head of her father 'Zeus' fully formed and armoured.
Goddess of reason, wisdom, intelligence, skill, peace, warfare, battle strategy, and handicrafts.
She's depicted as being crowned with a crested helmet, armed with shield and spear, and wearing the aegis over a long dress. Her symbol is the olive tree and is also commonly shown accompanied with her sacred animal, the owl. Her Roman counterpart being 'Minerva'.
This coin was minted in the affluent and powerful city of Pergamon (Pergamum) near the Western coast of Mysia, an ancient region in the Northwest of ancient Asia Minor, part of modern day Turkey...
Mysia, Pergamon . Circa 2nd Century BC. AE 18mm (5.31 gm).
Obv.: Head of Athena right, wearing Corinthian Egret helmet.
Rev.: ΑΘΗΝΑΣ ΝΙΚΗΦΟΡΟΥ (Athénas Nicéphore), trophy, consisting of a helmet surmounted by a small owl, a cuirass with arms below; monogram to the right.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: The Twelve Olympian Gods.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 10:04:44 PM »
A fun project, Paul. Dionysos may be a bit of a hard nut crack. While you are at it, consider that many of your delightful dozen are also pictured on modern coins and tokens. While Hercules was very popular, IIRC he was a demi-god.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 12:58:30 PM »
Thanks Peter,

I'm pretty sure on what 11 of the 12 gods will be..My main problem is Hephaistos / Vulcan and this is where I'll have to make an exception from ancient Greek as the Lipara and Lemnos coins I think will be outside my budget. The easiest option is the Malaca with star reverse but the style of the Spanish engravers doesn't really fit in with the Greek coins but I will go for this if I can't find an alternative and actually do quite like the whacky portrait! The other option I like are the coins from Samnium Aesernia Italy with Jupiter in biga reverse..

The OP coin has a monogram (see detail below)...Looking at the monogram variaties of this type it looks like it's a #1b monogram and so I'm tentatively attributing it to SNG von Aulock 1374; SNG France 1884.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 01:07:57 PM »
There are plenty of cheap modern alternatives with Hephaistos/Vulcan, including Italy, 50 lire 1950s and a number of UK tokens around 1790-5 for John Wilkinson.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 09:14:30 PM »
Thanks Peter but I don't collect modern coins...
Saying that I did live in India for a while, many years ago, which initiated my passion for British Indian Colonial Coinage and spent around 15 years collecting this Rupee based monetary system of which I'll hopefully, after 2 years of hard work, be able to publish my reference book based on certain year mintages by the end of this year....

This 12 Olympian set will all be BC.....

Second of the dozen.....
ZEUS..........
King of the Gods.
The child of Cronus and Rhea the Titans and was born on the island of Crete..
God of the sky, lightning, thunder, law, order, and justice.
Symbols associated with Zeus are the thunderbolt, eagle, bull, and oak.
His Roman counterpart being 'Jupiter'.
I'm not going to go into what this god could do but lets just say 'virtually anything'! From physical transformation to sticking a mountain on his shoulder and moving it somewhere else..He was pretty cool!

Wow! This guy has so many representations, he must be up there with the most depicted portrait on ancient coins? After looking through many different styles of this iconic face with his huge curly beard filling the obverse and an array of reverses depicting thunderbolts, eagles and the said fellow seated, surrounded with a multitude of legends, I decided on a much calmer simplistic portrayal. This coin really called to me and after subsequent research realised it's a nicely detailed coin for the type and it wasn't expensive so I bought it!

This was one of the first coins minted in Eumeneia, a town positioned on the river Claucus in the ancient West region of ancient Asia Minor, part of modern day Turkey. The town was named after Eumenis II by his brother the king of Pergamon Attalus II (Now there's a story!)...
OK here's the coin..
Phrygia, Eumeneia Circa 200-133 BC. AE 15mm (3.98 gm).
Obv...Laureate head of Zeus right.
Rev...EYME-NEΩN, legend in two lines within oak-wreath.
SNG Copenhagen 377-378

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 07:57:51 AM by Spaniard »

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 09:18:45 PM »
Here's the 2 together...