Author Topic: C & J Adams / Walsall  (Read 98 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
C & J Adams / Walsall
« on: January 27, 2021, 12:51:12 PM »
I came across this counterstamp on an unusual coin...an 1813 Isle of Man Halfpenny. I plan on bidding on this coin but in the meantime I'm posting the seller's pictures.

Not much known about C & J Adams, except that they were listed as saddler's ironmongers and general dealers in the 1818 Walsall, Staffordshire directory. Moving up to the 1842 listing shows Charles Adams & Son doing business as bridle cutters and harness makers. Most likely this is the same company as listed in the 1818 directory...C is Charles and his son is J(ames?).

I found no ID for the Wilson stamps. Although the two are a different size, the style is identical so probably struck by the same merchant. Any additional information on the two merchants would be appreciated.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
Re: C & J Adams / Walsall
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 04:25:40 PM »
Looking at the obverse, it appears to me that all three countermarks were made at the same time.  ???

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 07:36:17 PM »
I agree, MBE. Maybe Wilson worked for or with Adams, or coild have been a competitor. These multi-name stamps are interesting to research, but there's not much to go on here.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 10:26:27 AM »
Despite living in Walsall, I am no closer to the answer than you.  :D

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 11:09:15 AM »
Can you get access to any local records at a library or such? City directories or even old newspaper archives are hrlpful when researching. Or you could just walk around and ask anyone if they know Wilson. ;D

Cheers,

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 12:33:46 PM »
I suspect all libraries and archives are now closed, Bruce. However, the UK has a good record on vaccination.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 02:14:14 PM »
Can you get access to any local records at a library or such? City directories or even old newspaper archives are hrlpful when researching. Or you could just walk around and ask anyone if they know Wilson. ;D

Cheers,

Bruce

I've never tried and wouldn't know where to start! Having said that, I would be happy to see what I can find once things open up again. :)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 03:14:37 PM »
Here we have a lot of archives online but, unfortunately, the Ancestry juggernaut has been acquiring a lot of them for their site and charge big bucks to "share" them with you.

Still local, county, and state archives are readily available in many cases and can provide a lot of information. I've always found that city directories, and newspaper archives are most informative. I came to a dead end on Wilson but youre likely to have better luck because of where you live. Good luck, MBE, and keep in touch.

Bruce
Always Faithful