News:

Register to attend our live meetings.

Main Menu

South Indian Coin-Identify

Started by yperera1135, January 20, 2021, 02:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yperera1135

Hi:
I may have posted this yesterday but my pictures failed to upload. Here's the description again...
This is a South Indian coin (not a Ceylon type copper massa from Sri Lanka). Weighs 3g and 0.6" diameter.
Obv: Standing King holding an object (ball?) On either side are fish; crescent above the right fish.
Rev: Tamil script (does not match with Sundarapandyan)
the fish emblem is Pandyan but I cannot read the Tamil script to know who the ruler is. If anyone can decipher the script that would be a great help. A reference to a catalog would be a bonus.
Thanks very much!

Figleaf

Second picture (standing king) is upside down. First (deity sitting on lotus) probably needs to be rotated also.

For sure: Medieval Sri Lankan copper masa
Probably: Polonnaruva or Dambadeniya period (1153-1397)

Catalog: here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

yperera1135

Thanks Peter. Sri Lankan massa was ruled out. To the right of standing king should have 5 spheres; this lacks them. reverse in massa should have a seated king with devanagiri script on the right. This has a script (Tamil?) instead, no figure..Also, this is much smaller with only 0.6" diameter.
I am suspecting this could  be Jatavarman Sundrapandyan III (unlisted)??
Any thoughts?
Best

Figleaf

I am certainly no expert on these coins. I suggest that you contact our member Lakdiva, who is. He is also quite ready to share his knowledge, so a personal message (PM) would help.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

yperera1135

Yes, I contacted him another expert in Sri Lanka via their personal emails when I first came across this coin 3 weeks ago. They have not responded. So, I am assuming they are not familiar with it. For now I will classify it as unidentified and keep searching. thanks!

Quant.Geek

Definitely Pandyan, but your picture is so small that it is difficult to read the Tamil legend...
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

yperera1135

That's progress! Thanks. I am posting a better scan if that helps. I have seen similar Tamil grantha on certain coins but cannot decipher; I am no expert.  Attaching a better high resolution scan of that side only.
Do you agree that there are two fishes flanking the standing king on the Obv? Ive never seen two fishes on Obv.

Quant.Geek

Again, the picture is too small to see.  If you can post a larger picture, then I can pinpoint the exact coin. BTW, its not Grantha, but Tamil (a bit technical, but in reality Tamil Script is somewhat Grantha  :o)

Quant.Geek

I believe it is similar to or is the following coin that was issued by Maravarman Sundara Pandyan when he conquered the Chola Empire and brought it under his suzerainty. The legend says the one who brought the Chola Nadu (Country) in Tamil.  After sacking Thanjore, he gave the kingdom back to the king, but under his rule.  This slowly led to the downfall of the Cholas and the rise of the Pandyan Kingdom.

Pandyan Empire: Maravarman Sundara Pandya I (MCSI-383)
Obv: Cho nadu kundan (சொ னடு கொனடன)
Rev: Standing man in Chola style

yperera1135

here's an enlarged version. Increasing the size further will lose detail. I do agree with you, it's similar to Marvarman Sundra Pandyan. Do your best.
Thanks!

yperera1135

Took another look at the coin. I am a bit confused with the legend. Both 1st and 2nd line begin with a "Ma மா". Could be this be Maravar man? Doesn't quite match with a Cho nadu kundan as you have suggested below. Could this be Maravarman Kulasekeran Pandian? None of the sundara pandyan coins begin with ma. I could be wrong.
Larger scan attached..

Quant.Geek

I could always be wrong.  I don;t have my main books with me as its in storage due to Covid, but you can take a look at:

https://archive.org/details/in.gov.ignca.17039/page/n189/mode/2up

to see if anything matches...

yperera1135

I did refer to Desikachari but my copy of the book is horrible for pictures. The online version in your link is much better. i'll have a good look. Thanks for sending it.