Author Topic: Rarest coin of Independent India  (Read 58544 times)

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Rarest coin of Independent India
« on: December 02, 2009, 04:24:43 AM »
Recently, in an auction, this 2 Rupee Commemorative Coin Set of Land-Vital Resource, National Land Conservation Week, 14-20 Nov. 1992, was sold for about Rs. 2.50 Lac, making this most rare coin of Independent India. The coins were issued only for a few days and were subsequently withdrawn from circulation.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Rarest coin of Independent India
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:59:02 AM »
This has been an elusive coin. Now this explains why it is elusive. However does any one know why this issue was withdrawn?
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Rarest coin of Independent India
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 06:33:07 AM »
As far as I know,this coin was not withdrawn from circulation,but it was never released.Some of the guests were given this coin as a souvenir during one of the conference held in the program..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 09:42:36 AM »
Hi Abhay,

Please upload the scan of the other side of the coin set also.

Regards

Sanjay Kansal

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 10:10:04 AM »
Please upload the scan of the other side of the coin set also.
Regards
Sanjay Kansal
The set shows both the obverse as well as the reverse.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline MS

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 11:24:05 AM »
That's a heck of a lot for a modern coin. I heard sometime back that this coin was being sold for 25k-30k. The coin has now sold for 10 times that figure. With the interest in modern coinage increasing, this cost will continue to drive its way upwards.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 11:58:36 AM »
That's a heck of a lot for a modern coin. I heard sometime back that this coin was being sold for 25k-30k. The coin has now sold for 10 times that figure. With the interest in modern coinage increasing, this cost will continue to drive its way upwards.

The price is more as this is an Uncirculated Coin set, issued by the Calcutta Mint. This was auctioned in October this year.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »
Abhay, I know that both sides of coins -obverse as well as reverse are visible. But I want to see the scan of second side of plastic casing. Will be great if you could upload it.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 02:30:40 AM »
Mr. Kansal,

Thanks for your interest, but I don't have this coin. I have uploaded this image from the Auction Catalogue. In the catalogue, as well as on the Website of the Auctioneer, only one side is given.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 05:04:45 AM »
Abhay,

Sorry to disappoint you; but I dont think 'Land Vital Resources' is the rarest coin of India. I believe that honour goes to '1993 Inter Parliamentary Union Conference' 10Rs coin. IPU 10Rs coin is not listed in many catalogues including Krause. I understand that the market rate for the 1993 coins set is INR 3,00,000/-

As per information available with me, only 18 sets of IPU 10Rs coin set exist. However, 1Re & 5 Rs coins of IPU are easily available

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
Abhay,

Sorry to disappoint you; but I dont think 'Land Vital Resources' is the rarest coin of India. I believe that honour goes to '1993 Inter Parliamentary Union Conference' 10Rs coin. IPU 10Rs coin is not listed in many catalogues including Krause. I understand that the market rate for the 1993 coins set is INR 3,00,000/-

As per information available with me, only 18 sets of IPU 10Rs coin set exist. However, 1Re & 5 Rs coins of IPU are easily available

Regards
Sanjay Kansal

Dear Mr. Kansal,

About a year ago, The Proof set of 1993 Inter Parliamentary Conference was sold in an auction for about Rs. 1.00 Lac. Two years ago, the same was available in a coin exhibition at Indore for Rs. 33,000.00. I was a fool to not to purchase it at that time, and I am still repenting for the same.However, what should be the cost today, we just have to guess. For your information, these sets were sold through a coin dealer of Ahmedadbad.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 05:09:27 AM »
There is a long story - how the IPU sets surfaced in 2006 from Mumbai mint due to the efforts of a gentleman of Mumbai along-with the Ahmadabad dealer. I agree that last year it was sold for 100K by ‘the’ Mumbai auction house.

But this is old story. One week back, one dealer estimated the ongoing rate of IPU at Rs 250k-300K. He said that given a chance, he will himself buy the IPU at this price. This is beyond the reach of ordinary mortals like you and me. I guess that till we are lucky enough to win a lottery, we have to satisfy ourselves with images of IPU and Land Vital Resources sets….

Offline BCNumismatics

Rarest coin of independent India.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 10:30:46 PM »
Abhay,
  I think that the rarest coin of independent India is the 1960 pattern 1 Rupee coin.

There is a possibility that the 1949 Dominion of India pattern coins are just as rare,but I am not sure at all.

Aidan.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 04:09:00 AM »
Dear Aidan,

It is quite possible. I will try to find it out from some expert in the field.

Thanks

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Patney

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 04:20:05 AM »
Dear Mr. Kansal,
I think that 1997 Interparliamentary Conference coin set is most Rare Coin, Only 500 sets were minted and all were given to Deletages attending the Conference