News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Alexander lll tetradrachm countermark

Started by brandm24, January 09, 2021, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

I'm compiling a file of pictorial countermarks / counterstamps that feature largely images rather than text. I'm including all world coins from any era. I came across this one in my search and need help please.

What does the mark represent and what's it's purpose? Also, have I identified the coin properly? Many thanks for your help.

Bruce

(Images courtesy of eBay seller odma59)
Always Faithful

Manzikert

This reversed anchor countermark was used by the Seleucids, particularly Seleucus I Nikator and is often found on Alexander type silver. The coin is a late or posthumous Alexander, but I'm afraid it is rather too worn for me to identify the monogram precisely enough to give you a Price number, date and possible mint.

Alan

brandm24

Thanks very much, Alan. I was most interested in what the countermark portrayed as I want to add it to my database of pictorials. Another question if you don't mind. Were all of the Alexander coins countermarked like this? What was the purpose of the mark? Sorry, that's two questions. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful

Manzikert

As far as I know (a fairly shallow knowledge I'm afraid) the countermark was applied to re-validate the Alexander coins for use in Seleucus' territories, but you'd have to find someone with much better knowledge of Seleucid coinage than me for an authoritative answer. It was presumably only applied to such Alexanders as came into Seleucus' hands.

The anchor was Seleucus I's personal symbol, but later Seleucids continued to put the anchor in the dies on their coinage as it had become their dynastic symbol.

Alan

brandm24

Thanks, Alan. I can probably research these now using the information you gave me.

Bruce
Always Faithful