Author Topic: 4 Maravedis Santo Domingo  (Read 86 times)

Offline Matteo

4 Maravedis Santo Domingo
« on: January 04, 2021, 01:42:56 PM »
Hello,
one of my interests is European colonial coinage. I’d like to buy a 4 Maravedis minted in Santo Domingo, that it could be the first coin minted in Americas. I’d like to know how many types do exist of this coin: it seems to me that two different types do exixst. Can yuo help me? Do you have any images?
Thanks!
Best regards
Matteo

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 4 Maravedis Santo Domingo
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 08:44:29 AM »
According to Cayón, the first 4 maravedis minted in Santo Domingo were issued in the period 1544-1564 (mint master or assayer mark F). There are earlier coins, notably a ¼ real (11 maravedis) Santo Domingo issued 1542-1544 by mint master or assayer P and several denominations minted in the Mexico mint in the period 1536-1538 marked R. These types are all illustrated.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Matteo

Re: 4 Maravedis Santo Domingo
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 10:47:27 AM »
According to Cayón, the first 4 maravedis minted in Santo Domingo were issued in the period 1544-1564 (mint master or assayer mark F). There are earlier coins, notably a ¼ real (11 maravedis) Santo Domingo issued 1542-1544 by mint master or assayer P and several denominations minted in the Mexico mint in the period 1536-1538 marked R. These types are all illustrated.

Peter

Thanks for the asnwer, Peter. What I remember was wrong: there are earlier coins minted before that in Santo Domingo. I don't have the Cayon's catalogue, but I've found a useful list on internet: http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Spanish_and_Spanish_colonial_coins_listed_by_Cay%C3%B3n_number#Juana_and_Carlos_I.2C_1506-16

Probably not all coins are listed and some dates are missing: for example, in the list there is 4 Maravedis from Mexico 1542-44 and not earlier. But it is not a great problem for me in this moment.

Thanks!
Matteo