News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Which Country Has The Oldest Circulating Coins?

Started by Galapagos, November 29, 2009, 03:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ukrainii Pyat

Curiously enough, I have a 1935 German 5rpf coin that came into the bank coin machine and went rejected earlier this year.  I have a deal with tellers there that they save all that stuff.  So far most foreign coins are coming from Kuwait, Afghanistan - a reflection of where people are returning from.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on July 18, 2011, 02:18:15 AM
Legal tender is not a good criterium. Gold ducats are still being made and legal tender in the Netherlands. The first were struck in 1284. Hard to beat.

Being made, yes. Legal tender? Hmmm. "Munten zonder de hoedanigheid van wettig betaalmiddel zijn: a. de gouden dukaat; b. de dubbele gouden dukaat; c.
de zilveren dukaat." http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0013064/geldigheidsdatum_18-07-2011  Basically I agree though - the legal tender aspect is somewhat theoretical ...

Christian

Ukrainii Pyat

Today I searched $220 in USA nickels from a bank.  Earliest I found was 1905 Liberty nickel, AG-3 grade at best, but still 106 years old.  I find usually a Buffalo(1913-38) about once a week.  Next oldest coin was 1939, and then lots of coins in 1940s on up.  Best finds were the four 1943-5 silver war nickels.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine