Author Topic: Isle of Man, 1998: circulation coins with and without the triskelion  (Read 404 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
For many years, the circulation coins of the Isle of Man featured three small triskelions on the obverse (and sometimes four).

The triskelion is the three-legged symbol of the Isle of Man.

1998 was an unusual year, because not only did the Isle of Man adopt the Rank Broadley effigy of the Queen, but the penny, the 2, 5 and 10 pence coins, and also the pound coin, came in two versions: with the triskelions and without them.

According to numista, the 1998 penny also came with the Maklouf obverse, which featured triskelions:

Numista: Isle of Man, regular circulation coins of 1998

My question is, does anybody know why the two versions - with and without the triskelions - were issued in 1998? Was it an accident, or was it a ploy to sell more coins to collectors?

Also, has anybody seen the Maklouf version of the 1998 Manx penny?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 01:05:58 PM by <k> »
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Online Deeman

• Meritorious Member
Re: Isle of Man, 1998: circulation coins with and without the triskelion
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 12:24:23 AM »
Nothing to do with coinage, but interesting trivia with regard to the Triskelion.

On the Laxey Wheel, the Triskelion is backwards because they forgot to reverse the image when it was transferred from the design.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 12:31:00 AM »
That's interesting. I had always thought it could appear either way.

Offline MCz

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 09:01:29 PM »
My question is, does anybody know why the two versions - with and without the triskelions - were issued in 1998? Was it an accident, or was it a ploy to sell more coins to collectors?
I don't know but I guess that this was not an error: when implemented new effigy of QEII to IOM coins someone forgot about Manx triskelions... When it was noticed, obverse was redesigned and used during 1998-1999. But this is only my opinion, I have any confirmation.

One thing that I can confirm os that the same was with 1 Pound. I have both versions (discovered on Numista last year so I searched and bought another one versions of each denomination).
20p, and 2 pounds are completly different than other denominations, with outer ring, so portrait was changed only for inner part... For other, I guess that error... I searched 50p without triskelions but not found so probably also not exist.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 12:58:33 AM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 10:03:53 PM »
That's interesting. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page on numista, which shows the relevant 1998 Manx pound coins, it states: 'The error 1998 coin on the left, with three missing triskeles.'

However, there are not merely three missing triskeles. The obverse legend is very differently placed on the two versions of the coin, suggesting that they were carefully planned. The version without triskeles was clearly no mere error.

So what happened? The new Rank Broadley effigy, which was the work of an English artist and intended for the UK, was also forwarded to the Manx authorities. The Manx accordingly took the portrait and provided it with the standard obverse legend for Manx coins. Then somebody probably said, 'Wait a minute! Look at our previous pound coin, with the Maklouf effigy. It had three little triskeles. We need to add them to the new obverse in order to maintain continuity.' But by then some triskele-free coins had already been minted. Well, that is my theory, anyway. It's logical, but I have no proof for it.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 10:27:26 PM by <k> »

Offline MCz

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 11:33:54 PM »
I agree with your theory. It's exactly what I wanted to say in my previous post (my english is not so good).
Just two notes:
1) I think that 1 Pound on Numista should be split for 2 separate coins, it's not minting error but rather mistake of designer (I guess the design was approved). This is second type with big mintage, I guess, as I had no problems to easily buy it.
2) on 1996-1997 coins are with 4 triskeles, not only three.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 11:39:49 PM »
Sorry, MCz. I forgot about your theory after I discovered the numista page referring to 'errors'. You are quite right - I merely repeated your theory, having come to the same conclusion after examining the two different versions of the obverse design and legend placement.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 11:51:57 PM »
In November 1998 I asked a UK dealer about these 1998 coin, he had them in stock around that time. He told me (in his words)....

I am aware of the 1998 Isle of Man variation which occurs on at least 5 coins the £1, 10p, 5p, 2p and 1p. The initial small striking of these coins did not have the treskis between the sections on the Obverse. This was because designer of the Portrait asked Pobjoy to remove them, however the Isle of Man Government then insisted they be added so all subsequent production is with the Treskis.

It is only those five types.

As for the Manx 1 Penny 1998 with the earlier (Maklouf) portrait ... rather likely another error copied from SCWC to Numista. It is not listed in WMK. Take Numista's "10% Frequency" with a pinch of salt.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 11:54:30 PM »
Thanks for that.  :)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 12:57:08 AM »
2) on 1996-1997 coins are with 4 triskeles, not only three.

Oh no! Just don't tell me that some of those ones do have only three.  :-\

Offline MCz

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 08:28:01 AM »
Oh no! Just don't tell me that some of those ones do have only three.  :-\
No, I wrote not precisly. I want to say that sometimes were 4 triskeles (like 1996/7), not only three like you wrote on first phrase of this topic: "For many years, the circulation coins of the Isle of Man featured three small triskelions on the obverse"

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 11:13:31 AM »
The legends were swapped around on the 20p between 1998/1999 too, but both had the triskeles.

Numista lists the 1998 type as being also issued in 1999 - but I'm not sure it exists.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 01:00:20 PM »
The legends were swapped around on the 20p between 1998/1999 too, but both had the triskeles.

Oh no! This is just getting ridiculous!

Offline CannedMeat

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 01:02:15 PM »
1) I think that 1 Pound on Numista should be split for 2 separate coins, it's not minting error but rather mistake of designer (I guess the design was approved). This is second type with big mintage, I guess, as I had no problems to easily buy it.
Agreed. That is already done for the other denominations with the same situation.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 01:07:21 PM »
No, I wrote not precisely. I want to say that sometimes were 4 triskeles (like 1996/7), not only three like you wrote on first phrase of this topic: "For many years, the circulation coins of the Isle of Man featured three small triskelions on the obverse"

OK, I've changed my first post yet again.  :-\  Did you do your master's degree in this subject?  ;)