Author Topic: Ancient clay(?) seal? Whose face on it?  (Read 211 times)

Offline Md. Shariful Islam

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
    • Coins of Medieval Bengal
Ancient clay(?) seal? Whose face on it?
« on: December 19, 2020, 03:31:45 PM »
Almost sure, it is made of clay. But I don't have knowledge to explain cause of the greenish patina on it. The face gives me a taste of Africa! Somehow arrived in Bengal.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Ancient clay(?) seal? Whose face on it?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »
Yes, the portrait looks African, but on the portrait side at 10 and 11 o'clock, there seem to be three Japanese (?) characters, perhaps a name: NI-MA-.... The long face has its echos in Japanese art (Utamaro, Sharaku). Japan and Africa have in common sailors who will never return home. In Japan, they were disgraced samurai, who would be killed or executed if they returned. In Africa, people fled after tribal wars and to escape slavery.

Perhaps this piece was meant to be painted and sold on a sailor's market to provide some extra income.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 02:21:59 PM »
The characters in 10-11 O'clock are written after the die imprinted on the clay(?). That may be name of the person who made that.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 04:46:01 PM »
Whatever it is, it's an interesting piece. I'm seeing what looks like an insect, a bee maybe, on the reverse at 12:00 o'clock. Are you guys seeing the same thing or am I looking at something else? I've done a lot of image searches on the internet but haven't even come close to a match.

Bruce
Always Faithful

• Honorary Member
  • Tonk>Tanka>Taka
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 05:12:27 PM »
Whatever it is, it's an interesting piece. I'm seeing what looks like an insect, a bee maybe, on the reverse at 12:00 o'clock. Are you guys seeing the same thing or am I looking at something else?
Bruce
Yes, that looks like a bee, but I am not sure if it is really a bee or not.
Taking NiMa as a key I found Numidia/Inumiden as an African/Tunisian kingdom during 200-40 BC. And found symbol of Tanit, their goddess. They are not a close match though. Also from the style/look of dress, I feel, it is from later period.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 06:37:29 PM »
Looks like you're making some progress. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Bruce
Always Faithful