Author Topic: Levon I silver Tran  (Read 98 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Levon I silver Tran
« on: December 19, 2020, 12:58:21 AM »
Interesting silver.  1198-1289 Levon I Tram from Cilicia Armenia.  Pretty good condition.  https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces37315.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cilicia#/media/File:Cilicia_Map_by_Heinrich_Kiepert.png
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 07:54:19 AM by Figleaf »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Levon I silver Tran
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 08:22:23 AM »
Really nice coin with plenty of detail, Greg. An interesting piece of history. On the Numista page you linked to, Cilician Armenia is lumped together with the crusader states. The truth is more interesting.

In a few words, skipping much detail, even in Roman times, Armenia had managed some independence from Rome and Parthia, full independence at times. In Byzantine times, Armenians settled on the South-Eastern coast of what is now Turkey. The Cilician Armenians wriggled out some independence from the Byzantines, even as the Seljuqs of Rum grew stronger. They established an independent kingdom under Leon I. What eventually did them in was an attack of crusaders on Constantinople, that was highly profitable for the Seljuqs.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 09:35:48 AM »
This is a fascinating series, but the script is always a bit of a problem. :)

They managed to survive as a vassal state of the Seljuks for a few years, so we get the interesting issues with the Armenian King Hethum I on one side and a reverse citing the Rum Seljuq ruler Kaykhusraw II as his overlord. My rather poor specimen below, 1241 AD (639 H).

Alan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 09:54:14 AM »
Fishing for compliments, Manzikert? :D With only a little wear on the horse's hind parts, this is a very nice for type coin!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 01:44:03 PM »
No Peter, just well aware that there are a fair few far better ones around, but well outside my financial reach :)

Alan