Author Topic: Comments on 'The decimal coinage of Australia'  (Read 169 times)

Offline redlock

Re: Comments on 'The decimal coinage of Australia'
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 08:09:24 PM »
Only recently has Australia expanded greatly into using the $2 coin for commemoratives.  For many years after the first circulating $2 coin was issued, it was the current (and standard) obverse and reverse designs.

I think it's quite obvious why the $2 coin has been used so much lately: Seigniorage. Probably the most profitable circulation coin for the RAM.
The $2 cc that have been issued were mostly coloured and thus mostly taken out of circulation.

I also think that the RAM should slow down issuing $2 cc a bit. Wishful thinking on my part, of course. Not going to happen.
In 2018, we can most likely expect three coloured $2 commemorating the Commenwealth Games.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:28 PM »
...last year all six coins were issued with the 50 years of decimal coinage obverse, a one off design which I have obtained (all six) from circulation.
I’ve got the set with those coins in.  I was also after the other set, the one that included the 1c, 2c and round silver 50c (all dated 2016) but I missed out on it from the RAM, and prices on eBay etc are a bit above my price range.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 05:36:36 AM »
The two dollar coin in Reply #20 in addition to the aborigine figure included the grass tree, Xanthorrhoea, common names for this included the blackboy which some people felt could be a reference to the aborigine elder and not politically correct but this surprisingly was never really commented upon to any extent.

An article about the origin of the Australian aborigine on the $2 coin Who is the person on the Australian Two Dollar Coin?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 08:15:26 PM »
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2020, 11:13:01 PM »

The dollar coin is usually described as A mob of 'roos
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Mister T

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »
It’s interesting that a seven-sided coin was considered.  The 12-sided coin was apparently introduced in 1969, the same year as the UK’s 50p coin.  Had they gone with the seven-sided version, they could have possibly beaten the UK to it (as the UK 50p wasn’t issued until mid-October 1969).  The 50p would have been relegated to the world’s second curved heptagonal coin.

I think the seven sided coin was also considered for a dollar coin 1977.