Gibraltar to issue new series of standard circulating coins 2020

Started by eurocoin, December 11, 2020, 10:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

Gibraltar is going to issue a new series of standard circulating coins. The new coins will be dated 2020. In contrary to recent years, this will not be a commemorative coin series.

The denominations will depict the following reverse designs:

1 penny - Commonwealth Park
2 pence - Small Boats Marina
5 pence - Windsor Bridge
10 pence - Barbary partridge
20 pence - A dolphin jumping out of the water with the Rock of Gibraltar in the background
50 pence - The Skywalk
2 pounds - Eastern side of the Rock of Gibraltar, showing the beaches Sandy Bay, Catalan Bay and Eastern Bay

There has been no mention of a 1 pound coin. It is likely that that coin will be released separately as it will be a new 12-sided coin.

eurocoin

The release of the new standard circulating coin series of Gibraltar is imminent. Some of the coins can already be ordered from Gibraltar Stamps and Coins, although they show no images of the coins.

eurocoin

A first look at the new 20p and 50p coin. They are the worst looking circulating coins I have ever seen. Pobjoy Mint has failed miserably. The coins are supposed to show a dolphin in front of the Rock and the Skywalk in Gibraltar.

eurocoin

Deeman

The skywalk is an amazing structure, but it doesn't look well depicted from the picture of the 50p posted.

Big_M

eurocoin

I am really surprised by the quality of these pieces. But since the competition with Tower Mint is very high, I guess that they have to be creative to be able to quote the best price and these kind of things are the result of that. Quality-wise it is a race to the bottom. It looks as if they have uploaded a Google photo in to a laser machine or something and let that laser the dies. That is of course not how coin design works. It is clear that there was no artist involved here. The 50p is a monstrosity.

Deeman

Quote from: eurocoin on February 10, 2021, 10:28:07 AM
I am really surprised by the quality of these pieces. But since the competition with Tower Mint is very high, I guess that they have to be creative to be able to quote the best price and these kind of things are the result of that. Quality-wise it is a race to the bottom. It looks as if they have uploaded a Google photo in to a laser machine or something and let that laser the dies. That is of course not how coin design works. It is clear that there was no artist involved here. Not long ago Pobjoy Mint was mocking Tower Mint because of the low quality of the COVID-19 50p Tower Mint produced for Gibraltar, which indeed looked bad, but this 50p looks far worse. I mean, it is a monstrosity.

Ebay prices: 50p range £8.49 to £12.95; 20p for £7.69 - all exc. postage.
For the Covid-19 50p unbelievable prices of £59.50 to £66.99 exc. postage.

Obviously aimed at buyers requiring a lobotomy.

eurocoin

This afternoon I spoke with Pobjoy Mint about these coins. They informed me that the designs were provided to them by the Government of Gibraltar. The Government of Gibratar did not make use of the possibility to have coin designs made by Pobjoy Mint. I really hope that in the future Gibraltar will let the mints make real coin designs for them.

gordarpi

This looks rather like a poor quality photo engraving usually applied to medals produced on demand (for instance as gifts) by various mints as a side product. 

Anyway this is not even worth the 3.95£ and 1.99£ value respectively for 50&20p at which it is currently offered by GiB stamps. Perhaps to grab some in person from circulation lots while on a visit to GiB once the Covid and its associated - even lower quality - 50p is gone is a much better idea than to invest in "scrap metal"  ;D

gordarpi

Quote from: Big_M on February 10, 2021, 09:28:45 AM
Strange, not a single ape in this photo...

The dedicated "feeding station" as called on gmaps is further up the road. Usually there are some groups around and when I have been walking there on my last visit - last January - one of them has been enjoying life on the upper level (of Skywalk). When approaching Skywalk via the Douglas path - a nice side trek, highly recommended for its panoramic views - you can always encounter some families. Will try to dig out some pictures, but till then here is a nice resume: https://postcardfromgibraltar.com/2018/02/28/a-stroll-around-gibraltar-no-22-douglas-path-upper-rock-nature-reserve/   

Btw. they also like the obs deck@cable car's upper station obviously due to the constant inflow of tourists in normal times. At the moment they are living a rather solitary life as getting in contact with the apes is strictly prohibited due Covid. Another idea - a Covid 50p with the apes :)

A little read: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/26/gibraltar-vets-make-daily-patrols-to-check-macaques-for-coronavirus

<k>

The scene on the 20 pence looks somewhat impressionistic. It's good that they have tried something different with their wide sea scene, but in reality, is the small 20 pence coin best suited to carry it?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Deeman

The quality of the effigy also appears somewhat poor. This new series of circulating coins doesn't do Pobjoy any favours.