Author Topic: Kubool Nawab Himayat Khan (AD 1733–51), Mint Qamarnagar , INO Muh shah ,Rupee , Rare  (Read 84 times)

Offline sarwar khan

• Meritorious Member

The city of Kurnool is situated in present day Andhra pradesh about 225 km to the south of Hyderabad .It is the Headquarters of the district bearing the same name.In the 18th and 19th centuries kurnool was ruled by a lineage of Afghan nawab .The founder of the line was khizr khan panni an Afghan adventurer who first sought employment with ' Adil shahi Sultans of bijapur and then pledged his troops to the Mughals under Aurangzeb .His son Dawood khan rose to be a powerful  noble under Aurangzeb and enjoyed being the Nawab of Arcot for a while Dawood's brothers Ibrahim khan and Alaf khan secured the territory around Kurnool  and established himselves there in the early decades of the 18th century.

When the first Nizam Asif Jah I Virtually declared his independence in 1724 , the kingdom of Kurnool came under his influence,  and the Nawab became tributaries of Hyderabad Alf Khan was succeeded 1733  by Himayat bahadur khan, by far the most influential of the Kurnool Nawab in the mid 18th century. Together with his kinsman the miyana nawabs of savanur and Cuddapah , he formed an Afghan coalition which played a crucial role in regional politics. Mainly the succession struggles at Hyderabad Court following the death of Asaf Jah I in 1748. He was indirectly responsible for the death of Muzaffar Jang the second claimant to the Nizam's throne following Nasir Jang, the successor of Asif jah I, who was also killed in a skirmish with the Afghan coalition.Salabat Jang, the successor to Muzaffar Jang , finally quelled this rebellious group with the help of his mentors , the Marathas , by storming kurnool in 1752.

The estate was restored to Munawwar Khan ,the brother of Himayat Khan in 1762 by Nizam Ali , Asaf jah II against payment of a tribute.The Nawab of Kurnool remained tributaries to the two powerful Kingdoms on either side of the their territory, namely the nizams of Hyderabad and Mysore under haider Ali  for the rest 18th century .

Munawwar Khan ruled till his death in 1792 and and was succeeded by Alif Khan second during this regin the last Anglo Mysore war took place and Tipu Sultan of Mysore was defeated and killed . the Nizam allied himself with the British in this conflict and thus managed to secure tribute right over Kurnool. But he surrendered these right to the East India company making the Nawab of Kurnool a direct tributary to the British.And in 1839 AD a commission of enquiry deposed last Nawab of Kurnool Ghulam Rasool and Kurnool lapsed to British rule following a brief military action.

Details about the Coin :-
Nawab :- Nawab Himayat Bahadur Khan (AD 1733–1751)
Mint - Qamarnagar
INO Muhammad Shah (AD.1719 - 48)
Denomination - Rupee
RY - 20
Issue year - 1151 AH , AD 1738
Rarity - Rare
Condition - Very fine
Rarity - Rare
Bold strike

Foot note - The Mint of Kurnool struck coin with qamar Nagar Islamic allies, as the the Mint name it is not know exactly. when kurnool as such but it is likely that it was named after qamaruddin the laqab (title) of Asaf jah I Probably in 1688.

I posted the coin with overlay

Source :- Coinage of the nizams of hyderabad - New Diacoveries and reattributions by Shailen Bhandare Sir & internet source

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Interesting story of big-fish-eat-little-fish many times over. Thank you for the overlay!

Formally, your written source is: Coinage of the Nizams of Hyderabad - New Discoveries and Reattributions by Shailen Bhandare in "Journal of the Oriental Numismatic Society", no. 210, 2012 pp. 26-38. You can download the article here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline sarwar khan

• Meritorious Member
Interesting story of big-fish-eat-little-fish many times over. Thank you for the overlay!

Formally, your written source is: Coinage of the Nizams of Hyderabad - New Discoveries and Reattributions by Shailen Bhandare in "Journal of the Oriental Numismatic Society", no. 210, 2012 pp. 26-38. You can download the article here.

Peter
Thanks Figleaf sir for giving the knowledgeable link

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk