Author Topic: Portrait ID please  (Read 115 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Portrait ID please
« on: November 28, 2020, 11:59:46 AM »
This old George lll coin has a smoothed reverse with a portrait and name(?) engraved under it. I can only make out the first letter which looks like an "M".  Does anyone recognize the portrait or what looks to be writing under the bust ? Thanks for your help.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Portrait ID please
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 05:33:58 PM »
I think it says either MONAI or MORAI. The latter option is close to Morais or Moraes, a common Portuguese family name - perhaps the equivalent of the Spanish family name Morales.

The portrait reminded me of Lord Byron, which makes no sense, but may give you an idea of the period and the wealth of the man portrayed, judging from the clothes.

The most romantic speculation on this coin involves the Napoleonic prisoners of wars, locked up in several places, notably Dover castle. They made all kinds of object to earn some money, from model ships to decorated tobacco pipes. Scratching a portrait of an elegant Englishman wouldn't be beneath them and the portrait looks artfully done. Of course, Portugal was a British ally, but there must have been Portuguese choosing the wrong side.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 10:09:51 PM »
It really is well done considering all things. The portrait reminded me of someone too, but couldn't put a name to it. Lord Byron maybe, but I didn't have any specific person in mind.

Your Portugeuse connection is interesting and something I'll have to consider. It's certainly better than anything I have. Many thanks.

Peter
Always Faithful

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 10:27:23 PM »
Well,here he is in all his glory.

Bruce
Always Faithful