Author Topic: Sasanian copper  (Read 21 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Sasanian copper
« on: November 21, 2020, 11:56:40 PM »
When I started being interested in Sasanian coins, all there was was silver drachms. Gold dinars then cost 2000 Dutch guilders - now they are 2000 euros - and that's the lower priced coinage. As much as I'm hankering after a nice gold Shapur I, it will probably never happen. Nowadays other coins are coming up. The copper coinage is very interesting, although most are very small and often worn. Lead coins are coming up onto the market in somewhat greater numbers, too - they are much like the coppers, but usually even more worn (and uncleanable I'm afraid).

This is a nice 'pashiz', that's just a name given to them some decades ago. Were they local coins to buy bread in the shop, or were they thrown out at the crowd by officials? I don't know.
Here is Kavad I, the first of the three mightiest Kings of Kings of the later Sasanians (Kavad I, Xusro I and Xusro II, late 5th to early 7th century). This particular is from Kavad's second reign (499-531 AD).

Sasanids, AE pashiz Kavad I, 2nd reign, 499-531. Obv. Crowned bust in pearl rim, moon and star outside it, uncertain symbol to the right. Rev. Fire altar with assistants, moon and star between them. Mint ST (Istakhr). Irregular flan. 16 x 14 mm, 0.97 gr.

-- Paul