Author Topic: Fourré or low silver content?  (Read 8 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Fourré or low silver content?
« on: October 27, 2020, 05:20:08 PM »
Peter, I think this is a good example of the Roman "some-what-silver".  I know, wrong board but I'm just dovetailing :-)  This is a later Roman but I really can't make much out except the silver (what's left of it).
The Chief...aka Greg

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Fourré or low silver content?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 06:05:27 PM »
The lines between 1) clad 2) fourré 3) low silver content, silver drawn to the surface and 4) low silver content are not clear at all. So yes, it might well be 2 or 3. I find the relatively good amount of silver on the edge surprising, so I'll stick my neck out and vote for fourré.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »
Peter, I thought clad but after researching I tend toword your line of thought.  The fact that the silver is on the edges speaks volumes.  I was just trying to show some of the interesting metallurgy.  Please feel free to move that post if you want...probably lives in Roman thread.
The Chief...aka Greg

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »
Not to worry, Greg. It's a nice illustration of a general prob, but the main point is still that if you start looking behind the appearance for history, you can be pleasantly surprised.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.