Author Topic: Another unknown Ghorid Jital; Ghiyath al-Din Muhammad bin Sam (Tye : -)  (Read 77 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Being ill for a while has caused a small pile of unsorted and uncataloged coins which i am slowly working through now.
This is an, as far as i know, unpublished Jital in name of Ghorid ruler Ghiyath al-Din Muhammad bin Sam. At first i thought it was a Ghaznavid issue, for the style is not common for this ruler.

The Obverse shows the customary titles.
The Reverse is special. There is a small unclear object in the center square. I turned the coins al around in an effort to read it as text, but did not succeed. This is surrounded by the Kalima.
The only Jital i have with a remote similarity is the Khwarezmshah type shown as second below (Tye#244). This shows a feline facing right in the center.

Part of the surface is corroded. That seems caused by an elektrochemical reaction by being around other metal coins. Traces of this are seen on the surface.

AR 15 mm, 2.63 gr.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 06:43:27 PM by THCoins »

Offline shiblius

Re: Another unknown Ghorid Jital; Ghiyath al-Din Muhammad bin Sam (Tye : -)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 10:31:51 PM »
Maybe something like this:

Offline shiblius

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 10:33:59 PM »
The green ones are interpolated could be completely off, and it could be a feline (or some other motif), with the word 'Allah' inscribed at top-right

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 09:28:50 AM »
Thanks for the overlay Shiblius ! Agree fully, also with the possibility that "Allah" is in the upper right corner.
By showing this specimen here, possibly others  may recognize similar specimen with which to compare and be sure.

Edit: I stated that this type did not appear in the Tye Jitals catalog. This type was recorded by mr Tye in his work in progress addendum to Jitals (personal communication) and recorded there as nr 138A.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 12:17:47 PM by THCoins »