Author Topic: Standard Catalog of World Coins 2001 to present, 2020 edition  (Read 319 times)

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
Standard Catalog of World Coins 2001 to present, 2020 edition
« on: November 20, 2020, 10:27:18 PM »
Hello, and thank you so much for your assistance. Does anyone know where I can order the latest edition of the Standard Catalog of World Coins, 2001-Present. I believe that it is the 2020 edition but I have seen only 1 reference to it and I have not found any company that distributes it.

Thank you!

Alan, NH

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Standard Catalog of World Coins 2001 to present, 2020 edition
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 11:28:57 PM »
Found only 2019:

Amazon
Abe Books

There are others selling the same title and edition.

The same, if not more information is available free here. No price quotes, but links to eBay.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 01:31:50 AM »
Hello, Figleaf.

All I can say is that in all the years I have "known you", your information is always valuable; your knowledge seems endless and your generosity in sharing is very much appreciated...always. Thank you.

With my Composer Coin collecting, I do rely heavily on KM numbers and Y numbers. There are so many new composer coins coming on the market these days and my last copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins 2001 to Present is from 2017,  I need to become more current. Also, I am still participating in some research on the topic of Composer Coins with an author here in the U.S. and I have assigned myself the mission of getting the new KM or Y numbers for all new or recent issues that I have in my collection and those that I find on E-Bay or elsewhere. Numista is a wonderful source of information but they too and not current with new catalog numbers. I don't know how popular collecting Composer Coins is but I am assuming the interest in them is growing or there would not be so many new issues. I want those catalog numbers. I have seen a photo of the new guide on Amazon. It had a blue cover, but have called and searched online to no avail.

Now, I could discuss the "merit" of some of these new composer coin issues but that's if for another time and place. 

As always, Figleaf, thanks!!    Alan

Online Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 05:05:26 AM »
If I am not mistaken, 2020 edition of 2001 to date was dropped although it was planned.
2020 edition of 1901 to 2000 was, however successfully released.

I am not aware if the plan is likely to be reactivated but what I can foresee is that for all practical purposes, no one is willing to take up the allocation of KM# for new coins.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Standard Catalog of World Coins 2001 to present, 2020 edition
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 09:31:43 AM »
What about Schön catalog? I understand that they still do not issue digital version (i.e. DVD) and paper copies are not exactly user friendly. ;) (Not being in English is another issue, but not a significant one).

Aditya
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:44:25 AM by Bimat »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 09:42:19 AM »
Don't worry, Alan. The KM catalog numbers are included in the listings on the site I linked to, as far as they are known, as the site is often a year or so ahead of KM.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 02:03:30 PM »
Numista members used to indicate KM# from online database, numismaster.com which was the database Krause used to maintain. Now the database is property of AI Media and is gone offline. Even Numista does not have KM#s of coins issued after 2018 since Tom Michael has stopped allotting them online.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 07:20:50 PM »
Hello, Fellow Collector Friends.

Just a word of thanks for the information on the Standard Catalog of World Coins 2001-Present 2020 Edition. I guess I will stop looking, sadly. It seems that I have grown up with KM and Y numbers and they have always been an integral part of my collections. I hope someone picks it up and continues the work but when I really think about it, I can learn to get along without the numbers. Numista is great but they seem to be missing the more recent (or non-existent) KM and Y numbers too.

So, I guess I will hunt around for the 2019 edition. Thanks for the suggestions, Figleaf. Someone on E-Bay is offering "digital" versions for very little money. Is there a risk in purchasing and using a digital edition? Can someone kindly explain how a digital edition works on a computer? At 70 years young, all this fancy new digital stuff confuses me. (So does dental floss but my dentist taught me how to do it about 30 years ago.) ;D

Thanks you all so much.

Alan

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 08:40:22 PM »
The digital edition comes free with the paper edition. It is a searchable PDF file you can open  with (free) PDF reader, which you probably already have on your computer. The version by Adobe has become irritating nag-ware, but there are alternatives. The advantage of having KM as a PDF file is that you can take the books along on your smart phone e.g. to a coin show without developing chimpanzee arms and that you can search for stuff, like searching for Beethoven gets you every occurrence of the word in the whole catalogue. Also, you used to be able to take nice detail pictures of a listing in KM in order to help out someone else, but that feature is close to useless now - use screen shots instead.

The el-cheapo standalone digital editions are either cracked originals or home-made. If you know where to look, you can actually get them free. The home-made copies may be non-searchable. The risk is that when they arrest you for drugs dealing they'll search your hard disk and get you for illegal stuff they find also, perhaps if they arrest the seller, they'll go through his financial accounts and get to the buyers, but the seller may be in Russia or China and there's no way to arrest or even stop them. Or the seller may decide to take your money and not deliver, but you'd give them a bad review. In practice, the risk is close to zero, especially if you don't deal wholesale in drugs or pilfered copies of coin catalogues. ;)

Peter