Author Topic: British Antarctic Territory: 1 pound 2020 Climate change  (Read 336 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
British Antarctic Territory: 1 pound 2020 Climate change
« on: November 19, 2020, 12:56:58 PM »
The British Antarctic Territory is planning to soon release a commemorative new 12-sided 1 pound coin to commemorate climate change. 2,750 pieces will be made in base-metal and 475 in precious metals. The coins will be produced by the Pobjoy Mint.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: British Antarctic Territory: 1 pound 2020 Climate change
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 05:22:34 PM »
Is this the first non-UK coin to follow the example of the UK 12-sided bimetallic pound coin? Will it possess all of the patented 'secret' technology of the UK coin? If I put it in a vending machine in England, would the machine accept it?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 05:49:55 PM »
Is this the first non-UK coin to follow the example of the UK 12-sided bimetallic pound coin? Will it possess all of the patented 'secret' technology of the UK coin? If I put it in a vending machine in England, would the machine accept it?

It is indeed the first non-UK coin to follow the UK example of the 12-sided bimetallic pound coin. As we have seen earlier the Falkland Islands is also working hard on the introduction of their new 12-sided 1 pound coin, as is Gibraltar, but the one of the British Antarctic Territory is expected to be released first.

It is only the overt and covert security features of which can be seen on the images that they will be the same. Whether the forensic one, the luminescent particles, will also be included, I do not know. I do know that the Royal Mint provides the blanks to Pobjoy Mint. Whether these blanks have specifically been taken out of the normal production process before the step in which the particles are being added, I do not know.

As far as I know, no vending machines in the UK check the luminescent particles. From what I understand only coin sorting machines at the cash centres are able to check this security feature.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 05:51:08 PM »
Thank you, eurocoin.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 11:46:11 AM »
I enquired about the availability from Pobjoy mint and this is their reply:

"This coin was not supposed to be seen on the website and was not searchable nor was it in the catalogue as this was not for general purchase and this is why the product was at this price with no image. We are aware that a customer pressed reorder through their account which then took them to this page and then posted this online which is how this became such common knowledge."

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 01:27:03 PM »
You can't blame the customer if you haven't protected the page from access. I don't quite understand the wording of their reaction. Does it mean "only dealers can order"?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 10:57:56 AM »
With the design depicting an iceberg formed by breaking off from an ice shelf, an event happening with increased regularity, I found some interesting information on icebergs.

The icy waters surrounding Antarctica are home to a vast majority of the icebergs that navigate Earth's oceans.
Iceberg names are derived from the Antarctic quadrant in which they were originally sighted (e.g. B-09). The quadrants are divided counter-clockwise in the following manner:

A = 0 - 90W (Bellingshausen/Weddell Sea)
B = 90W - 180 (Amundsen/Eastern Ross Sea)
C = 180 - 90E (Western Ross Sea/Wilkesland)
D = 90E - 0 (Amery/Eastern Weddell Sea)

A freshly calved iceberg usually begins by moving westward, along with the Antarctic Coastal Current, with the coastline on being on its left-hand side. The Coriolis force owing to Earth’s rotation also turns its trajectory to the left, which cause the icebergs to run aground and remain stationary for years before continuing on their journey. If a ‘berg can break away from the coastal current, it then enters the Antarctic Circumpolar Current.
Once the iceberg is in the Antarctic Circumpolar Current, its path is generally eastward, driven by both the current and the wind. Also, the Coriolis force pushes the ‘berg slightly northward. The ‘berg will then move crabwise in a north-easterly direction, finishing its days at relatively low latitudes and in relatively warm waters before disintegrating.

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 11:17:32 AM »
Very interesting design...I really like it. But it is very strange what has happened with Pobjoy, hopefully they sell directly to customers and not only through distributors. Let's see  ::)
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 12:27:29 PM »
Thank you, Deeman. As a certified climate change worrier, I appreciate the picture on this piece. There is a huge under-awareness of how serious climate change is to people everywhere. As the icebergs melt, the global water level increases. Combine that with freak weather and you end up with real, coin-issuing countries threatened with disappearance. There is no comfort for those living inland either. Whole coastal areas given up will cause throngs of climate fugitives to seek higher land, just when the food supply is disrupted.

I wish this theme would figure on mainstream coins, though. People need to receive such pictures and legends like OUR GREATEST THREAT in their change.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 05:51:23 PM »
The coin is now available.

Offline Deeman

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 06:48:23 PM »
Thanks for the update eurocoin. Order placed.

Pobjoy state that the coin includes all the security features of the new UK £1 coin.

Offline Big_M

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 09:53:39 PM »
Pobjoy has claimed the base metal version sold out, but looks to be back in stock now.